STEERING WHEEL SHIMMY

2006 Jeep TJ

ld06jeepn

November, 21, 2010 AT 4:44 AM

I just got new tires installed on my 06 Jeep Wrangler. The jeep has 50,000 miles on it. At 51 - 55 mph I have a large shimmy that comes through the steering wheel. It then smooths out a little bit but is still slightly there. Could this be an balance problem?

Jacobandnickolas

November, 21, 2010 AT 4:55 AM

Have the front tires rebalanced. If it didn't do it before, that is my first guess. NOTE: When you feel it in the steering wheel, it is related to the front tires. If you feel it more in the seat and floor, it is related to the rear tires.

Let me know. Also, if they say the tires are balanced, have them check them for belt shift, flat spots, or any improfections from the manufacturer.

Let me know what you find.

Dr Loot

November, 21, 2010 AT 4:56 AM

Most likely they left your tires loose, better check them, or they them properly balanced them, you better take it back

ld06jeepn

November, 21, 2010 AT 4:59 AM

Thanks Joe I appreciate your help. I got the tires from Walmart. It's a lease so I wanted a cheap tire. I paid for a one time balancing. I have a lifetime balancing plan with Sears. I'm gonna take it to them and have them balance them. Hopefully they'll do a better job. Thanks again for your help.
Leon

Jacobandnickolas

November, 21, 2010 AT 5:39 AM

Leon,
Let me know what you find. Also, I feel that is where the problem is coming from. Just to be safe, do what Dr. Loot suggested and make sure they tightened the wheels. I wouldn't want you to lose a wheel.

Let me know.

Power Steering Pump Pulley Removal
Replace Tie Rod End
Power Steering Fluid Flush Acura MDX 2000-200