SOUND FORM DRIVE AXLE

• ali.alvi
  • 2006 Hyundai Santro
  • manual

A few days ago I went to shop of mechanic to change brake pads of my car. Mechanic identified that axle boot also needs replacement because it is worn out. He changed it and applied grease to part inside axle boot. After that day knocking kind of sound started coming out of axle boot while turning U-turn only.I took the car to mechanic again. He said that its not fault. Do you think drive axle is not fixed properly or there is any other case? Thanks for ur time

Friday, October 21st, 2011 AT 1:41 PM

• saturntech9

If the boot was torn and all the grease was gone that can ruin a axle joint to say if it was the guy who replaced the boot did something wrong when he replaced the boot cant really say.

Wednesday, October 26th, 2011 AT 5:36 PM
  • ali.alvi

What are the consequences if grease come out? Is it the CV joint that goes bad? Can CV joint be replaced alone or I have to change whole axle assembly?

Thursday, October 27th, 2011 AT 8:35 AM
  • saturntech9

Without grease the axle joint destroys itself metal to metal contact. You can replace just the joint but usually its more cost effective to replace the while axle.I usually replace the whole axle you will have to price out which way is cheaper.

Thursday, October 27th, 2011 AT 3:53 PM
  • ali.alvi

You talked about a joint in your reply. Is it CV jiont?
And thanks for your help.

Thursday, October 27th, 2011 AT 5:17 PM
  • saturntech9

Yes each end of the axle has a cv joint.

Thursday, October 27th, 2011 AT 8:10 PM