SOUND FORM DRIVE AXLE

2006 Hyundai Santro

ali.alvi

October, 21, 2011 AT 1:41 PM

A few days ago I went to shop of mechanic to change brake pads of my car. Mechanic identified that axle boot also needs replacement because it is worn out. He changed it and applied grease to part inside axle boot. After that day knocking kind of sound started coming out of axle boot while turning U-turn only.I took the car to mechanic again. He said that its not fault. Do you think drive axle is not fixed properly or there is any other case? Thanks for ur time

New Axel Noise

Axle Noise

saturntech9

October, 26, 2011 AT 5:36 PM

If the boot was torn and all the grease was gone that can ruin a axle joint to say if it was the guy who replaced the boot did something wrong when he replaced the boot cant really say.

ali.alvi

October, 27, 2011 AT 8:35 AM

What are the consequences if grease come out? Is it the CV joint that goes bad? Can CV joint be replaced alone or I have to change whole axle assembly?

saturntech9

October, 27, 2011 AT 3:53 PM

Without grease the axle joint destroys itself metal to metal contact. You can replace just the joint but usually its more cost effective to replace the while axle.I usually replace the whole axle you will have to price out which way is cheaper.

ali.alvi

October, 27, 2011 AT 5:17 PM

You talked about a joint in your reply. Is it CV jiont?
And thanks for your help.

saturntech9

October, 27, 2011 AT 8:10 PM

Yes each end of the axle has a cv joint.

Axle Seal Replacement
Axle Bearing, Seal, E-Brake Shoes, Brake Pads
Differential Fluid Level Check
Differential Fluid Drain/Refill
Differential Fluid Service - Front
Differential Fluid Service Chevrolet 2500HD