THERE IS A RATTLING NOISE COMING FROM THE ENGINE...

2006 Honda Accord

Anonymous

October, 17, 2012 AT 12:37 PM

There is a rattling noise coming from the engine area- Have been told by a service guy it is probably the alternator and it would cost $680 plus labour to replace- car is starting and going okay otherwise- please advise

October, 17, 2012 AT 12:46 PM

Alternators don't produce knocking noises.

I would suggest checking the serpentine belt to see if it is worn. A worn belt or weak belt tension tends to produce knocking noises and noise would usually change in rythm when A/C is turne on or off.

Wrenchtech

October, 17, 2012 AT 1:06 PM

They are concluding that the bearing is going bad and IF they are correct, the alternator will fail and lock up eventually. I would get a second opinion. The alternator price is a bit steep too.

October, 17, 2012 AT 1:15 PM

If the bearings are bad. They can be easily replaced at a much lower cost.

Wrenchtech

October, 17, 2012 AT 1:26 PM

I don't think you will find anybody willing to take an alternator apart.

October, 17, 2012 AT 1:35 PM

Guess we are living in different worlds, lol.

Wrenchtech

October, 17, 2012 AT 1:51 PM

I don't doubt you would be capable but the general consensus of repair shops that I have been familiar with would not take that route and the parts stores would give you a "deer in the headlights" look if you asked for an alternator bearing.

October, 17, 2012 AT 8:38 PM

Yup, I agree with that. Over here I would say 90 % of so called shops are nothing more than fitter shops where they would replace components and hope it solves problems if there are any.

Coolant Drain and Refill
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Toyota Tacoma
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Rear
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Acura TL