CAN HYDRAULIC ROLLER LIFTERS RE-PRIME WITHOUT TAKING THEM OUT?

• gearhead90
  • 2006 GMC Envoy

I have a 2006 envoy denali with the 5.3L. It has a misfire on cylinder #1 and iv changed the oil since it was losing oil pressure, changed spark plugs and wires and even replaced the coil pack for the cylinder and it still has a misfire. Could a lifter have lost its prime and causing the misfire and if so do the hydraulic roller lifters re-prime themselves with the engine running?

Monday, July 23rd, 2012 AT 4:59 PM

• hmac300

Check fuel pressure first as that will cause a misfire as well. Then check for a vacuum leak. Lifters will reprime themselves as long as there is oil pressure. If the lifter collapsed it would make a very loud ticking noise then go away after a few seconds

Monday, July 23rd, 2012 AT 5:04 PM
  • gearhead90

How do it check the fuel pressure? The motor has a ticking noise but it is getting quiiter.

Monday, July 23rd, 2012 AT 5:07 PM
  • hmac300

You will probably need an adapter to tap into the fuel rail. Most auto parts stores have them to rent. If you are lucky there will be a tap on the fuel rail where you can check it. It should be55-62 psi at idleor with key on andengine not running

Monday, July 23rd, 2012 AT 5:11 PM
  • gearhead90

Ok now if the fuel pressure is not in the PSI range what would be the next step?

Monday, July 23rd, 2012 AT 5:13 PM
  • hmac300

Replace the fuel pump or filter.

Monday, July 23rd, 2012 AT 5:14 PM
  • gearhead90

Ok fuel pressure is at 56PSI so that is good. Any other ideas what could be causing the miss?

Monday, July 23rd, 2012 AT 5:24 PM
  • hmac300

Check compression and vacuum leak spray choke cleaner for a vacuum leak around intake area also look for vacuum hoses off or holes in them. What is the correct code you are getting.

Monday, July 23rd, 2012 AT 5:26 PM
  • gearhead90

Ok the code that is coming up on my code reader is P0301 and all it says is cylinder #1 misfire.

Monday, July 23rd, 2012 AT 5:29 PM
  • gearhead90

I used a broomstick and put it by cylinder 1 and I could hear some ticking. Its starts fine but after it runs for about 30 sec it bogs down and then you can really tell its missing

Monday, July 23rd, 2012 AT 5:52 PM
  • hmac300

Broom sticks aren't that reliable. If you have changed plugs, wires and coil then do what I said in last answer

Monday, July 23rd, 2012 AT 7:01 PM