SHIFTING GEAR IS LOCKED HELP ME BEFORE MY CAR GETS TOWED

2006 Dodge Charger

pearsoncatherin

October, 8, 2012 AT 8:49 PM

I have Dodge charger 2006, and the shifting gear won't move off park.
It's locked. And I want to fix it myself what's the part that I have to buy?

caradiodoc

October, 8, 2012 AT 9:09 PM

Do you really think it's that easy, just knowing which part to buy? Start by checking the brake lights. If they don't work, check the fuse. It's tied in with the shift interlock circuit.

quinceyhayward

October, 13, 2012 AT 2:17 AM

I had the same problem with my girlfriend's 2007 charger. The part you need is called the shift interlock latch. You can get it at rockauto. Com for about $22 and it only takes about 30 minutes to install. There is a video on youtube showing you exactly how to do it (they are replacing it on a chrysler 300 but it's the same exact part). The best part about it is that they are replacing the pink plastic part with a metal one. Hope this helps and good luck.

Oh yeah. There is a little trick you can do to get it out park until you get you part. Remove the bezel around the shifter, you will see a cable going to the shift box, pull that towards the shift box and and it will move out park.

quinceyhayward

October, 13, 2012 AT 2:21 AM

I'm sorry.I quoted you the wrong price. It's only $17.78 plus shipping.

quinceyhayward

October, 13, 2012 AT 2:23 AM

Here is a picture

Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Transmission Turbine Sensor Replacement
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250