NEED HELP REPLACING AXLE SHAFT SEAL

2006 Chevrolet HHR

RGBond

January, 16, 2012 AT 12:43 AM

I am trying to change axle shaft seal on passenger side of my 2006 HHR LS. The axle only comes out about 1/4 inch before it stops. Do I need to remove something else in order to remove the axle shaft? I have experience with car repairs, but this has me stymied. I am changing a bad axle bearing. I saw the axle seal seeping. I decided to change that while I am changing the bearing. On passenger side of car.

fixitmr

January, 16, 2012 AT 1:13 AM

We are talking rear axle? So you are pulling seal and it is stuck? Is there any lip or rust/corrosion preventing it from coming off?

RGBond

January, 16, 2012 AT 1:24 AM

Front wheel drive. 2006 HHR. Front axle shaft, passenger side. I am trying to get axle shaft out, it is not stuck on the seal. No rust or corrosion

fixitmr

January, 16, 2012 AT 4:33 AM

What is the procedure you have used? And what are you using to remove it from hub?

RGBond

I had a bad wheel bearing on the right front and the seal at the transmission was seeping. When I went to pull the cv shaft out with both hands' it came out a 1/4" then stopped. My question is, is there something else that I need to remove before the axle shaft will come out? And yes I have the wheel bearing off already. There is sensor in transmission about 3" in from the seal, Possible speed sensor.

fixitmr

If you had said, I cant pull axle shaft out of transmission, we coulda got together on this sooner. My info says it's held in by snap ring which mean you will have to pry it out.

Axle Seal Replacement
Axle Bearing, Seal, E-Brake Shoes, Brake Pads
Differential Fluid Level Check
Differential Fluid Service Chevrolet 2500HD
Differential Fluid Service - Front