ADD ON TO THE QUESTION ABOUT DIEING ON THE HIGHWAY.

2006 Chevrolet HHR

JM

September, 20, 2011 AT 8:56 PM

If you have a bad gas cap and a MAP sensor code comes up could the two of those problems cause the engine to die on the highway. Since this happens only when it is damp, moisture could be getting into fuel system through the bad gas cap and the MAP sensor could be getting dampness in it or it could be totally bad. From what I read the MAP sensor controls fuel flow right. Does any of this make sense before I buy the MAP sensor. I have already purchased a new fuel cap and am waiting to come in the mail. Thanks.

saturntech9

September, 20, 2011 AT 9:58 PM

First of all there is no bad gas cap code there is a evap small and evap large leak code. Also there is no bad map sensor code there is a map sensor circuit code meaning there code be a issue with the map sensor the circuit or even pcm. The map sensor tells the computer how much load is on the engine by measuring the engines vacuum. Yes a problem the sensor or circuit can cause it to die. Lets star with the exact code numbers you have?Not the code descriptions.

JM

September, 20, 2011 AT 10:55 PM

We have gotton a p0106 off the pcm. She has also gotten the message on the dash - reduced engine power and engine power disabled right before the engine died. Keep in mind it has never done it when the weather is nice and it has never done it at low speed. Only highway. Thanks.

saturntech9

September, 21, 2011 AT 5:12 PM

I posted the trouble tree for code P0106 let me know what you find.