CHANGING A BATTERY

2006 BMW 325i

buffyal

December, 8, 2010 AT 7:54 PM

Car is 2006 BMW 325i. Battery is kaput. Purchased "exact fit replacement -- but -- when I opened the battery compartment in the trunk there is a bunch of electronic stuff on top of the battery. It all appears to be attached in some fashion. What is the correct course of action to safely deal with this stuff?

Dr. Hagerty

December, 9, 2010 AT 12:48 AM

I appreciate the term "safely deal" as the stuff needs to be reconnected correctly. Now if you can have the car taken to someone to install and register the battery, that would be ideal. The electronic sophistication in the E-9x cars is such that the battery requires registration to maximize the life of the battery, that may not be possible and I understand. BMW cars are not like dads' Oldsmobile, they have more electrical consumers that are sensitive to voltage excursions and modules that require special training and equipment, even just to change the battery. I recommend seeking out a trained BMW professional to protect your investment, and your peace of mind.

Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006