CODE P2181

2006 Audi A4

kim_albrecht

December, 18, 2011 AT 6:27 PM

Driving home from dinner with friends last night the check engine light came on. Car is not doing anything different in running. We have just had the timing belt, camshaft, oil changed 2500 miles ago, and new breaks and tires. So we are doing everything that needs to be done. Tried tightening the gas cap this morning light is still coming on. The auto zone people gave me a code of P2181?

fixitmr

December, 18, 2011 AT 7:07 PM

Is engine temp reaching proper levels?(Thermostat) are cooling fans working properly? Or could be temp sensor or auxiliary radiator check valve. Temp sensor plug has also been reported defective.

kim_albrecht

December, 18, 2011 AT 7:10 PM

He said everything is working to where it needs to be? Now would the temp sensor plug be free for us to have them fix since it's been reported defective? And my husband is on a deployment. We have two cars are local dealer for audi is 2.5 hrs away. Is this a problem that can wait and I just put it in the garage and just drive it every now and again around the block?

fixitmr

December, 18, 2011 AT 8:28 PM

It's not a serious problem so you can drive car. The system has noticed "less than ideal cooling system performance". The bad plug would be rare and not free to fix since it worked until now. This CEL code is a common problem and the usual called for fix is new temp sensor but that dont always fix it.

kim_albrecht

December, 18, 2011 AT 9:18 PM

Now could this be fixed at just a regular VW dealership or does it still specify going to a Audi Dealership?

fixitmr

December, 18, 2011 AT 11:49 PM

I guess you'd have to call and ask.