THE ENGINE SOUNDS AS IF IT IS ALWAYS WINDING AS ...

2005 Toyota 4Runner

Paul Woods

November, 18, 2012 AT 12:05 PM

The engine sounds as if it is always winding, as though it is in a low gear. Any thoughts?

November, 18, 2012 AT 12:09 PM

Can you explain the meaning of winding in more details? I don't understand the term you are using.

Paul Woods

November, 18, 2012 AT 3:42 PM

Yes, when I first start out driving and reach a speed of 25 or 30 m.P.H, the engine doesn't seem to automatically shift to a smoother running gear, It sounds loud and also sounds as if it is not automatically shifting down on its own. When driving at higher speeds, the same thing happens. It doesn't shift down. It's as if I were driving a standard shift transmission and always in a gear lower than I should be.

November, 18, 2012 AT 3:50 PM

Gear shifting are electronically controlled by the transmisison control module with signals from various sensors and if one of them is not sending the correct signal, erratic shifting would occur. Are there any components that is not functioning correctly. Get a scan done to check for trouble codes, which would tell you if anything is wrong with the control system.

Paul Woods

November, 18, 2012 AT 4:13 PM

Thank You. I will do that.

November, 18, 2012 AT 4:18 PM

Let us know what codes are present and we should be able to advise you how to proceed from here.

Engine Oil Change and Filter GMC Sierra
Oil Life Reset Light Honda Civic 2006-2011
Engine Oil Change and Filter Replacement