THE ENGINE SOUNDS AS IF IT IS ALWAYS WINDING AS ...

• Paul Woods
  • 2005 Toyota 4Runner

The engine sounds as if it is always winding, as though it is in a low gear. Any thoughts?

Sunday, November 18th, 2012 AT 12:05 PM

• KHLow2008

Can you explain the meaning of winding in more details? I don't understand the term you are using.

Sunday, November 18th, 2012 AT 12:09 PM
  • Paul Woods

Yes, when I first start out driving and reach a speed of 25 or 30 m.P.H, the engine doesn't seem to automatically shift to a smoother running gear, It sounds loud and also sounds as if it is not automatically shifting down on its own. When driving at higher speeds, the same thing happens. It doesn't shift down. It's as if I were driving a standard shift transmission and always in a gear lower than I should be.

Sunday, November 18th, 2012 AT 3:42 PM
  • KHLow2008

Gear shifting are electronically controlled by the transmisison control module with signals from various sensors and if one of them is not sending the correct signal, erratic shifting would occur. Are there any components that is not functioning correctly. Get a scan done to check for trouble codes, which would tell you if anything is wrong with the control system.

Sunday, November 18th, 2012 AT 3:50 PM
  • Paul Woods

Thank You. I will do that.

Sunday, November 18th, 2012 AT 4:13 PM
  • KHLow2008

Let us know what codes are present and we should be able to advise you how to proceed from here.

Sunday, November 18th, 2012 AT 4:18 PM