I need to change out the rear brake shoe and drums

PHOTOG3PHOTO
  • 2005 SCION XB
How do I replace the drums on my wifes 2005 Scion xb?
Sunday, December 12th, 2010 AT 11:03 PM

Hi,

Replacing the brake shoes and drums is a little more involved than disc brakes, but it really isn't too hard if you take your time. You can expect rear brake shoes to last approximately 30,000 miles. Make sure you get lifetime replacement parts so you don't have to pay for them again.

To get you started, here is a video that shows in general how it is done on a similar car

https://youtu.be/-zHGYhjOxXo

If you look at the attachments below, they include the directions and pictures specific to your vehicle for replacement.

Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know what happens.
Wednesday, March 31st, 2021 AT 7:23 PM
SODANI
  • 2005 SCION XB
I suspect that I have my brake adjusters reversed because they are contracting over time. My brakes have the cylinder and adjuster at the top, with the pawl on the front shoe with a vertical spring. The pawl sits on the star wheel on the side closer to the brake backing plate. I'm wondering if someone knows which direction the star wheel should turn for advancement with my configuration.
Wednesday, April 14th, 2021 AT 2:44 PM (Merged)
KASEKENNY1
Hi Sodani,

I attached the diagrams for this set up including orientation to the front of the vehicles. You should be able to determine which way you need to turn yours depending on how you have it set up.

It appears the star end of the adjuster goes towards the front of the vehicle.

+1
SODANI
This is very helpful, thank you. This confirms for me that the adjusters have R and L mislabeled.
Wednesday, April 14th, 2021 AT 2:45 PM (Merged)
KASEKENNY1
Sounds good. Glad to help. Thanks for using 2CarPros.

Sponsored links