Smoke came out of my steering wheel

ASDFASDF
  • 2005 SATURN VUE

On my way home I noticed a burning wire plastic smell and saw some smoke come out the side of my steering wheel, my low beams stopped working but my high beams and turn signals continued to work, yesterday I removed my dimmer switch and there where 4 wires a red one, two black ones and a brown one the brown one was melted and the melted was burnt and not connected anymore to its place is this the low beams? If so is it as simple as just getting a new dimmer switch?

Wednesday, June 13th, 2012 AT 5:13 AM

SATURNTECH9

Does your vue have auto head lights or regular head lights?

Wednesday, June 13th, 2012 AT 3:01 PM
REDCD10

Not a 100% sure what would be the answer to both, I know if there auto maybe the shortage blew both my bulbs

Wednesday, June 13th, 2012 AT 3:08 PM
REDCD10

I have to manually put it in auto mode

Wednesday, June 13th, 2012 AT 3:11 PM
SATURNTECH9

So the melted wires are on the dimmer switch not the head light switch?If you have auto head lights it will say auto on the head light switch.

Wednesday, June 13th, 2012 AT 3:14 PM
REDCD10

Ok yes theres is an auto feature its one melted wire and the dimmer switch, I looked it up and for some reason it is also called the headlight switch, I looked up both up and they are the same product

Wednesday, June 13th, 2012 AT 3:23 PM
SATURNTECH9

I see a light blue wire a pink wire a dark blue wire a gray wire and a black wire. Which one is melted?

Wednesday, June 13th, 2012 AT 3:31 PM
REDCD10

I only see two black, one red and one burnt off brown one, I think there are two types of, I have looked up the parts and they offer two one that has only the wires I describe and another that has the wires you describe I'm not sure but I think that one also controls other things as well as the lights

its an 05 saturn vue

Wednesday, June 13th, 2012 AT 3:42 PM
REDCD10

I think the brown wire was originally purple and because of the burn wire it turned brown

Wednesday, June 13th, 2012 AT 3:56 PM
SATURNTECH9

Here is the head light wires coming from the switch.

Wednesday, June 13th, 2012 AT 4:02 PM
SATURNTECH9

Iam not there to see whats going on so your my eyes you need to cut back the tape and see what color the wire is?I dont see purple ethier in the wires going to the head lights. The low beam is dark blue coming off the switch.

Wednesday, June 13th, 2012 AT 4:14 PM