2005 JEEP

• camarinich
  • 2005 Jeep Cherokee

I have a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Edition with a Hemi Engine. About a year ago I noticed after driving the jeep for a couple of hours it started to make a noise in the front end when turning the steering wheel to the left or right, almost like the fluids were low or something. It wants to pull to the left or right too. I've brought it in to several garages (even a Jeep Dealer) and they can't seem to find the problem. I'm nervous to drive it to far in fear something dangerous will happen. After the jeep sits for several hours or it's driven short distances it's fine, it's only after it's been driven for an hour or longer. Please help. Thanks, Cheryl

Thursday, July 26th, 2012 AT 2:35 PM

• Docfixit

System is self diagnostic did Dealer check for codes? Was pressure test done on P/S system? Dealer offered no suggestions?
Has fluid ever been added?
If no to first two? Have tests done

Thursday, July 26th, 2012 AT 2:41 PM
  • camarinich

They told me they put it on the computer and nothing showed up. I'm not sure about the P/S system test. They offered no suggestions. I have my oil changed every 3000 miles and they always check the fluids so they tell me.

Thursday, July 26th, 2012 AT 2:46 PM
  • Docfixit

If another Dealer nearby try them there must be something at fault. If not showing up on computer scan then will be a hydraulic fault possible in rack-pinion. Has fluid been added to P/S ie. Power steering? Jeep MUST have a specfic oil

Thursday, July 26th, 2012 AT 2:57 PM
  • camarinich

They did tell me they have checked the power steering fluid and that's fine. Do you think it's still safe to drive any distances? Thank you for your help.

Thursday, July 26th, 2012 AT 3:00 PM
  • Docfixit

Suspect pump fault ie. Noise turning both directions and distance driven that maybe why nothing showing up when it's looked at. As long as vehicle can be controled then drivable. You may want to drive a distance till noise starts then take to dealer

Thursday, July 26th, 2012 AT 3:13 PM
  • camarinich

I'm planning a trip to Green Bay Wi this weekend, that's about 3 hrs from where I live, I will for sure bring it in to a Dealer there with the problem. Thank you so much for your help. Cheryl

Thursday, July 26th, 2012 AT 3:17 PM
  • Docfixit

Wish the best Jeeps are tough will take alot to stop one

Thursday, July 26th, 2012 AT 3:22 PM