CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR (CKP) TUCSON GLS 2.7 V6

2005 Hyundai Tuscon

s22225

October, 28, 2011 AT 5:56 PM

After reading many forums about sporadic loss of engine power and stalling issues, I have decided that there is a very good chance what I have been experiencing (after rain storms it seems) is related to the CKP going back which seems to be a known issue after about 5 years of engine heat which causes cracking and brittleness of the wires and insulator.

My question (which I cannot find a thorough answer to online despite hours of searching) is:

1. Where is the sensor located specifically?
2. How is it accessed
3. Any good photos showing this?

I am just seeing many wires bundled together in a conduit in front of the coil pack area.

Thanks in advance!

fixitmr

October, 30, 2011 AT 3:32 AM

On transmission bellhousing above starter.

fixitmr

October, 30, 2011 AT 3:36 AM

It's just below engine temp sensor so you dont get them confused.

s22225

October, 30, 2011 AT 4:53 AM

How is the part accessed to be changed? What needs to be removed, order, any photos or detailed diagrams would be very helpful. I've done radiators and most forums said that this part is easy to replace - is it?

Thanks.

fixitmr

October, 30, 2011 AT 8:05 PM

Basically takeoff plug, unbolt and pull out. Replacement reverse order. Will find more detailed info later.

s22225

October, 30, 2011 AT 11:16 PM

It sounds simple, but do I need to remove the radiator hoses, radiator? Approach from below? I'm trying to do this with as little intrusion as possible.

fixitmr

October, 31, 2011 AT 2:19 AM

Did you TRY looking for it at all where I indicated? I have not actually changed 1 of these. But I would be looking from underneath. The starter is located where engine attaches to transmision.

fixitmr

October, 31, 2011 AT 2:50 AM

Here's a pic.

s22225

October, 31, 2011 AT 2:57 AM

I'm going to have to take a look tomorrow, I think 2 radiator hoses, heater hose, etc. May be in the way - I looked yesterday from overtop and couldn't see it by just taking off the snorkel. I could take off the guard underneath and see if that's more feasible.

fixitmr

October, 31, 2011 AT 9:33 PM

That picture I just posted was off another answer on this forum. I looked at it more closely now and dont think it's the right 1!

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz