A SLIGHT HESITATION WHEN DEPRESSING THE GAS PEDAL. SHOULD I REPLACE THE THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR?

2005 Hyundai Elantra

eldom72

May, 22, 2012 AT 1:12 AM

('05 Hyundai Elantra Automatic). The car drives great, but I've noticed when I step on the gas, it has a small hesitation (like 1/2 second) for the engine to power the wheels. Also when I depress fully the gas pedal to downshift, it hesitates also. I've driven other cars and they react pretty fast. I've replaced the O2 sensors, changed all spark plugs, cleaned the MAF sensor, cleaned the PCV valve, changed the oil every 3000 miles, etc. So my conclusion is the throttle position sensor is probably faulty, though there's not trouble codes and no check engine light on the panel. Thanks for the help

May, 22, 2012 AT 1:18 AM

I would look more at basics than the tps.

The fuel filter? Has it been changed?
Does it have a timing belt? 60 k service that directly effects the timing.

Just some thoughts to think about

eldom72

May, 22, 2012 AT 3:42 AM

I forgot to add that I also replaced the fuel filter and also the timing belt. That's why i'm so confused because i've replaced about everything.

Jacobandnickolas

May, 22, 2012 AT 6:00 AM

When was the last tune up? As far as the TPS, if it is causing the problem, it should set a trouble code.

eldom72

May, 22, 2012 AT 5:03 PM

The last tune up was like a month ago when I did the oil+oil filter change. My car has 166,000 miles