Check engine code P0054

LGLREAVES
  • 2005 FORD FOCUS

I recently had a P0420 code come up on my car. So I changed out the o2 sensor. After changing that I got a P0054 code so I changed out the other o2 sensor. I can clear out the code and as long as the engine is warm when I clear out the code the code will not come back on. However, When I allow the engine to be shut off for more than 2-3 hours as soon as I get back in and start the car and start to drive the car the check engine light come right back on. The code is always a P0054 HO2S Hearter Resistance Bank 1 Sensor 2. What can I do to fix this?

Wednesday, February 22nd, 2012 AT 5:42 PM

ASEMASTER6371

The 420 code is a cat code. The cat has failed and will need to be replaced.
With that said, I wonder if you replaced the o2 sensor with a wrong sensor to trigger a heater code. Re check and make sure you have the correct sensor. Did you use an exact replacement or universal?

Please consider a donation to help us answer more questions.
Wednesday, February 22nd, 2012 AT 5:51 PM
LGLREAVES

It was an exact replacement. So if I change the cat will it solve the code?

Wednesday, February 22nd, 2012 AT 5:57 PM
ASEMASTER6371

The 420 code yes. Not the 54, that was created from you replacing the o2. Thats why I said to verify the correct sensor. Check the fuses too as there is one for the o2 heaters.

Wednesday, February 22nd, 2012 AT 6:01 PM

Help us by donating