Headlights

MRR3061
  • 2005 CHRYSLER TOWN AND COUNTRY
Head lights won't turn off with switch
Monday, February 7th, 2011 AT 4:18 AM

JCNINJA636
Check your bulbs first. Do any lights turn on when you turn the headlight switch on (like tail lights or parking lights?
-1
Tuesday, February 8th, 2011 AT 12:44 AM
MRR3061
Headlights and taillights come on when I open door then shuts off after few min when I leave the vehicle the switch has no effect on the lights anymore
-2
Tuesday, February 8th, 2011 AT 1:00 AM
JCNINJA636
Sounds like it could possibly be a failing headlight switch. But first check all your fuses to assure your fuses are good.
If memory serves me you have a switch on your left multifunction (mux) switch.
It is possible for those switches to fail.
If you headlight switch is your left mux switch, you can test it by: starting the car, turn on the headlights and check if the dash lights-up. If the dash does not illuminate then the switch is likely faulty. Also while the engine is on, leave the headlights in the on position, and pull the mux switch to engage the high-beams. If your high-beams work then your mux switch is likely failed.
If you have a separate headlight switch on the dash left of the instrument panel then: start the car, turn on the headlights and check if the dash lights-up. Also again try to turn on the high-beams. If the dash does not illuminate and the high-beams work then the switch is likely faulty.

Both parts are easy enough to replace, and the mux switch is repairable (but you have to know what you are doing).
Either of the parts are available at parts stores and can also be found at junkyards. They require no programming to install either.
Let me know if this was helpful, or if you need any more assistance.
Good luck
+3
Tuesday, February 8th, 2011 AT 4:40 AM