2005 Chevrolet Tahoe traction control

NATIVEJ
  • 2005 CHEVROLET TAHOE
Every time we start our engine the traction control automatically engages and you must push the traction control button each and every time to turn it off. Since 90% of driving does not require the traction control and with 4 wheel drive, the traction control becomes a redundant and pricey feature, we were wondering if and how to disable the auto engage and make it respond to manual controls like the 4 wheel drive part of the drive train.
Saturday, April 19th, 2014 AT 10:01 AM

I think you're looking at this feature wrong. It is designed to be on all the time, just like the anti-lock brake system which it's added onto. Traction control isn't actually part of the four-wheel-drive system or all-wheel-drive system. The main reason they provide a switch to turn the system off is so you can run the vehicle, in gear, on a hoist. A lot of front-wheel-drive cars also have traction control. All it does is lightly apply the brake for the wheel that's spinning and has no traction, so the other one is forced to spin and pull the vehicle.

Think of the overdrive in the transmission. You have the option of turning that off too, but you never would except when you're pulling a heavy trailer. Overdrive and traction control will both turn on each time you start the engine because neither is meant to be turned off on a regular basis.
Saturday, April 19th, 2014 AT 9:54 PM
NATIVEJ
I spoke with 2 mechanics about the traction control and they both said the same thing. It was unnecessary for most driving conditions and it does add wear and tear to the vehicle. Not only that when (not if) it goes out it is extremely pricey to repair and align so that it will work properly once again. My son has TC on his Jeep and it will only engage when and if he presses his TC button. Similarly, we both have the towing control which once again we press into function only when we desire to have it. I noticed since disengaging the device, we have added almost 10% to our fuel economy.

I appreciate your response, but I still don't want it working 24/7.
Sunday, April 20th, 2014 AT 6:36 AM
I'm not aware of any way to turn the feature off automatically. Also, you do not have the same 4wd system as on the Jeeps. Jeeps have all-time four-wheel-drive and are very picky about having all four tires with the same outer circumference. Chevy Astro Vans had the same system. Your truck can be driven on 2wd mode.

You should not be seeing any difference if fuel mileage. If you are, something is wrong. As for the mechanics who claimed wear is taking place due to this system, to avoid that wear you'd have to stop using the brakes, and that is not practical. What is much more likely to be happening is GM has had a huge problem with wheel speed sensors, and if one is developing a weak signal, it could be causing the system to activate when it shouldn't be. Under normal driving conditions, meaning no snow and ice, the Traction Control system should not engage at all. It's common to drive for months without the system engaging. Every manufacturer is worried about every extra mile per gallon they can achieve. There's no way you will lose any fuel mileage due to traction control. Even when it does engage, it will slow one wheel for only a few seconds.
Sunday, April 20th, 2014 AT 6:54 PM