THE PASSENGER SIDE HEAD LIGHT IS NOT WORKING

• matthewdallas
  • 2005 BMW 530i

The passenger side head light is not working. I went to Walmart last night and replaced it. Still is not working

Monday, January 28th, 2013 AT 11:27 PM

• blaze45
  • 384 posts

You need to check the continuity at the plug where the headlight connects. Hook up a voltmeter to the plug and see if there is any power getting to the plug. Also make sure that the wiring leading up to the plug isn't broken/worn causing a short.

Monday, January 28th, 2013 AT 11:35 PM
  • blaze45
  • 384 posts

Check the headlight fuses as well. Are they HID lights? If so then the ballast or the connector could of gone out. You can swap out ballasts and connectors from the other side, and if they turn on when you replace the connector/ballast then you know what your culprit is.

Good luck!

Monday, January 28th, 2013 AT 11:38 PM
  • blaze45
  • 384 posts

I think the fuse locations for the headlights are 9 and 32 inside the car? Maybe under the hood, its been a while.

Monday, January 28th, 2013 AT 11:41 PM
  • matthewdallas

Is there a special headlight we need to get or is the one from wal mart going to be sufficient. Also the headlights were working just last night and when they went out the low beam was out and the high beam was working. Now neither of them will work and we have to go back out of town in a few hours. So basically you think its the plug or wiring issue. Right?

Monday, January 28th, 2013 AT 11:46 PM
  • blaze45
  • 384 posts

Check the fuses. Do you have HID lights? The bulb replacement should be fine. It sounds to me like the ballasts or ignitors are out.

Tuesday, January 29th, 2013 AT 12:01 AM