WHEN DRIVING THE GEARS DON'T CATCH ON AND IT JUST REVS WITH NO REAL POWER. NOW THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS ON.

2004 Volkswagen Jetta

alexreyes

September, 1, 2012 AT 7:50 PM

I have a VW Jetta 2004 GLS 1.8t and just today I took it out and suddenly it wouldn't want to switch gears or "catch on" above probably 1 or 2. It's a tiptronic so I tried manually switching gears and using the hill settings at 2, 3, 4 to no avail. It would just rev really high with little power. Nothing's been wrong recently. On the way home the check engine light came on.

exovcds

September, 1, 2012 AT 8:05 PM

Have the fluid level checked. Needs to be done at a specific
temperature & special equipment/fluid is needed to fill to correct
level. So you might want to take it to a VW Specialty shop to
have them check it out.

The Transmission Control Unit can be checked for fault codes as well.

Thomas

hmac300

September, 1, 2012 AT 10:48 PM

So what is stated in the answer above it should be scanned andcan be an internal problem

alexreyes

September, 4, 2012 AT 5:20 PM

Thanks for the info! I'll post the engine code once I get a friend to scan it today.

alexreyes

September, 4, 2012 AT 11:27 PM

If you guys are still around, the engine code was P0733. Also my mechanic had to put about 1 quart of trans fluid in but now the car shifts fine. But he said to watch it and see how it goes.

hmac300

September, 4, 2012 AT 11:29 PM

Yep that's what to do. The 733 is a trans code so it was porbably low on fluid.

alexreyes

September, 4, 2012 AT 11:43 PM

Alright! I do appreciate the advice. : )

alexreyes

September, 6, 2012 AT 9:20 PM

If you guys are still around, same problem happened but it disappears once the engine gets to temp and the transmission heats up too. However p0732 was thrown out by the MIL. Any thoughts?

hmac300

September, 7, 2012 AT 12:47 AM

That code is a the wrong gear ratio which cold mean a valve body problem or solenoid have a trans guy look at this as I think you have a seal or clutch gone in it.

alexreyes

September, 17, 2012 AT 5:18 AM

. Some things to note: Trans computer good. No electrical problems but burnt transmission fluid (or so says mechanic). Says probably mechanical -> rebuild transmission $2500. Does this sound about right? Sorry for the long delays.

hmac300

September, 17, 2012 AT 1:47 PM

I would imagine so, you can always check around to get a better price. Burnt fluid is never good in a trans, you can smell it and it will look eithr brown or black. It should be red.