REAPPEARING ENGINE LIGHT

2004 SEAT Ibiza

ibiza1234

October, 2, 2011 AT 12:59 PM

Hi

I had the engine light come on about 6 months ago in my 2004 Ibiza S. After 3 months they finally diagnosed a faulty EGR valve. This was replaced and everything was fine.

Now it has come on again! Car seems to run fine, usually idles at about 750, but sometimes in stop-start traffic it goes to about 500 and bounces about for a little while before going back where it was. Occasionally when first started on cold mornings it goes to about 1000 but soon settles to 750.

Could it be the EGR valve again? I had problems with a previous car with the oxygen sensor that had similar issues but that would sometimes stall as well and wasn't an Ibiza.

Please help, it's really starting to annoy me (and also my boss as every time I have to the garage I have to sort my hours out first! : )

mhpautos

October, 2, 2011 AT 1:07 PM

Can you post the new codes that are set, this will be a great help.

ibiza1234

October, 2, 2011 AT 1:46 PM

I've not taken it back yet tbh, it's literally just come back on and I need to find a garage that will read it properly (has problems in the past with people just wiping it rather than just reading it)

Last time it was something about about a load sensor but the seat garage said that would usualy indicate an alternator/battery fault and there was nothing wrong with them! In the end a local garage had to do a smoke test and work out what was wrong with it.

I was just interested to see if anyone else had had any problems : (

ibiza1234

October, 4, 2011 AT 4:46 PM

Diagnostic comes up with the following: DTC 17586, linear lambda probe, current circuit; open circuit. Intermittent. It comes up with this and only this on AUB - Marelli 4MV - MT/AT and also AZQ - Simos - MT/AT.

I hope this means something to someone! The mechanic has told me that there are 2 lambda probes on my car, one front and one back, and that with this fault it is more likely to be the front one.

Apparently being intermittent means it is unlikely to fail disastorously or stop dead or anything serious. Apparently there is a chance it would affect emissions but I can drive round on it for a while before anything happens.

Any advice/ideas? Would be much appreciated!

mhpautos

October, 4, 2011 AT 8:55 PM

The front sensor is the problem I feel as well, rear 02 sensors or lambda sensors are used for collaboration only.

ibiza1234

October, 5, 2011 AT 7:30 PM

Glad to hear the mechanic's diagnosis was correct! The light went off yesterday morning (as I was on the way to the garage - typical) so I am not sure whether this is a serious fault. The mechanic has said he knows of someone with a similar car to mine who has an intermittent issue like this for 3 years with very few performance issues and has only now had the part replaced as it failed the emissions.

Is this something I need to have repaired immediately? Been advised to wait until the light is on permanently and not going on and off before I repair. The parts aren't cheap and I dont want to fix one only to find it is the other if it can run well for a while without.

What would be the best thing to do?

ibiza1234

October, 5, 2011 AT 7:34 PM

Is this something that needs to be fixed immediately? The light has now gone off (again).