SOUND COMING OUT OF THE DRIVER SIDE FRONT WHEEL

2004 Saturn Ion

stumped and stupid

June, 22, 2012 AT 10:05 PM

My wife's car has a sound coming out of the driver side front wheel. It gets louder as I increase speed. What is it? The mechanic that I took it to said that it was not the tires or the wheel bearings. He thinks it is the trans axle but did not sound to sure. Is there a way I can test it out to see if that is what it could be? Any other ideas?

June, 22, 2012 AT 10:35 PM

Is it making any noise while making turns?

stumped and stupid

June, 22, 2012 AT 10:49 PM

Makes the same noise. The noise seems to be controlled by the speed of the car. Turn right or left the noise does not change. I am currently rotating tires to see if that will fix the problem. The drivers front (where the noise is coming from) rotor seem to be loose. Could this cause the noise?

saturntech9

June, 23, 2012 AT 3:18 AM

Just to add to this one the rotor will be loose if the wheel is removed. Do you have a floor jack and jack stands?

stumped and stupid

June, 23, 2012 AT 4:44 AM

Yes. Lifted the front end. Placed the vehicle in drive and the sound is not there. Seems to be only when under the weight of the vehicle. I can not see any wear marks or otherwise damage.

Replace Tie Rod End
Upper Control Arm Replacement
Safely Changing Your Spare Tire