DOES THIS SOUNDS LIKE THE FUEL PUMP GONE OUT?

2004 Saturn Ion

damien12

July, 17, 2012 AT 4:01 AM

2004 Saturn: I cranked at work and the service engine came on, but went out before I could drive off the property. I picked up my son, headed home and just before I was at my driveway, the car
Stopped accelerating when I hit the gas. It was still running, battery is strong. When I try and crank now, it turns over strong, but wont start. I'm not a mechanic so I can't speculate, but that's what happened

saturntech9

July, 17, 2012 AT 4:15 AM

You will have to check for spark?Actual fuel pressure etc?Thats your starting point.

damien12

July, 17, 2012 AT 4:18 AM

Ok thanks

saturntech9

July, 17, 2012 AT 4:21 AM

You can try this one have someone try to start it while your smacking the center of the gas tank with the palm of your hand. They rent fuel pressure gauges at auto zone.

cadieman

July, 17, 2012 AT 4:29 AM

First use starting fluid spray it in the intake does it try to start? Most parts stores will read your codes. Check the fuel pressure. Rent a gauge at the parts store.U can start here.

damien12

July, 17, 2012 AT 4:32 AM

But would the fuel pump going out make the check engine light come on?

saturntech9

July, 17, 2012 AT 4:34 AM

With it not running doesnt do it much good for code checks at the auto parts store.

saturntech9

July, 17, 2012 AT 4:38 AM

Usually when the fuel pump goes out on those it doesnt set any codes.

damien12

July, 17, 2012 AT 4:42 AM

I didnt think it would set a code but im thinking maybe it could be a crankshaft sensor its a friend of mines car so I really cant really see whats going on I just want too give him a estimate of whats going on

saturntech9

July, 17, 2012 AT 4:48 AM

With a code reader that displays some live engine data you could read the codes and if it was a bad crankshaft sensor you could watch engine rpm on the code reader while cranking the engine. Check for spark if no spark you can check the crankshaft sensor with a multimeter.

cadieman

July, 17, 2012 AT 6:29 PM

Remember he cant get to a code reader the car wont run.

Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Pressure Test