MAKING A CLUNKING SOUND

2004 Saturn Ion

jmasaturn

May, 24, 2012 AT 6:36 PM

The car has been making a clunking sound when going over bumps & turning. More noticeable when cold or wet weather. I have had the struts/cv joint checked. I am being told that the Steering Assist could be the problem (told by Firestone). The dealer has agreed to change the part, but cautions may not clear problem. Is this true?

saturntech9

May, 24, 2012 AT 8:53 PM

The most common reason for that to happen is from bad sway bar bracket bushings theres even a bulletin for it.I have replaced tons of them for that reason. Also whats the last 8 digits of your vin?The 2003 and early built 04 ions need the sway bar brackets changed with the bushings. So when they say steering assit are they talking about the steering motor?Also do you have the quad coupe or sedan?

jmasaturn

June, 8, 2012 AT 4:00 PM

The dealer said it was catalytic converter, fortunately still under warranty. The car was good for a few days, now hearing the clunking noise again, not as bad as before. They also replaced the steering assist motor. I drive the ION-3 Quad Coupe. 4Z156112

saturntech9

June, 8, 2012 AT 8:38 PM

If your not moving and rock the steering wheel left to right can you hear the noise?

Engine Oil Change and Filter
Oil Change and Filter Chevrolet Tahoe 2015
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevy 1500