MAKING A CLUNKING SOUND

• jmasaturn
  • 2004 Saturn Ion

The car has been making a clunking sound when going over bumps & turning. More noticeable when cold or wet weather. I have had the struts/cv joint checked. I am being told that the Steering Assist could be the problem (told by Firestone). The dealer has agreed to change the part, but cautions may not clear problem. Is this true?

Thursday, May 24th, 2012 AT 6:36 PM

• saturntech9

The most common reason for that to happen is from bad sway bar bracket bushings theres even a bulletin for it.I have replaced tons of them for that reason. Also whats the last 8 digits of your vin?The 2003 and early built 04 ions need the sway bar brackets changed with the bushings. So when they say steering assit are they talking about the steering motor?Also do you have the quad coupe or sedan?

Thursday, May 24th, 2012 AT 8:53 PM
  • jmasaturn

The dealer said it was catalytic converter, fortunately still under warranty. The car was good for a few days, now hearing the clunking noise again, not as bad as before. They also replaced the steering assist motor. I drive the ION-3 Quad Coupe. 4Z156112

Friday, June 8th, 2012 AT 4:00 PM
  • saturntech9

If your not moving and rock the steering wheel left to right can you hear the noise?

Friday, June 8th, 2012 AT 8:38 PM