CAR HAS STARTED TO NOT TAKE OFF FROM REST, UNLESS YOU REV IT UP

2004 Renault Espace

Bof No1

April, 18, 2012 AT 10:05 PM

Take off normally, car slowly builds speed until turbo kicks in. 1.9 DCi diesel. Turbo replaced last July. Twice since then, have had to put 2-3 litres of oil in to top up between changes. Oil present in turbo pipe, before turbo. In the last few weeks, if I take off with increased revs. No problem and turbo kicks in just under 2000 revs. No smoke. If I take off as normal, car builds speed slowly, until turbo kicks in, she then accelerates away with a large cloud of grey / black smoke.

No problems at cruising speeds, but if I accelerate hard, with revs below turbo kick in, car takes time to build speed, turbo kicks in and car accelerates with smoke trail until what I presume is all the unburt diesel is gone, then clear exhaust. Has got worse since originally noticed.

rivermikerat

April, 18, 2012 AT 10:09 PM

Check for oil leaks first. Then check for vacuum leaks. Then check to see if the catalytic converter, if equipped, is plugged.

Bof No1

April, 18, 2012 AT 10:22 PM

Hi, Sorry, but check for oil leaks where and what does "plugged" mean? Obviously, there must be differences in names, I might call "plugged" by another name, Thanks.

rivermikerat

April, 18, 2012 AT 11:13 PM

Oil leaks anywhere, especially where it could enter the turbo. Plugged means not allowing the exhaust stream to flow in an unrestricted manner.

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars