CHECKED SPARK PLUGS, NOT WONT START

2004 Oldsmobile Alero

lizlovelust

October, 5, 2011 AT 9:13 PM

I just checked my spark plugs to see what tools we needed to reach them and now we put everything back together correctly and the car wont start. It sounds like it's trying to but wont start! What do we do?

promechanic

October, 5, 2011 AT 9:18 PM

What all did you take off? I would retrace my steps VERY carefully. Check all connectors and check that all the wires were put back correctly. It has to be something that you took off that you didn't put back on right or forgot to re-connect or something.

lizlovelust

October, 5, 2011 AT 9:23 PM

The only thing we disconnected was the top to be able to view the start plugs. There was a little thing on top of it that is connected to some wires that we unplugged too. We plugged the little thing back in and made sure all the bolts were in tight enough. The car makes noises like it wants to starts but wont.

lizlovelust

October, 5, 2011 AT 9:36 PM

Sorry this photo!

promechanic

October, 5, 2011 AT 9:55 PM

I would double check that electrical connection. They can usually only be plugged in one way, but make sure it is pushed all the way in. Sometimes it seems like they are in when they aren't. Maybe even unplug it then plug it back in.

lizlovelust

October, 5, 2011 AT 10:12 PM

Okay I believe we found the problem, we are missing the little black piece in this photo http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2004/oldsmobile/alero/engine_electrical/ignition_control_unit.html Do you know what it is called and where we could find one? or do you have to buy the whole set up?

I believe the little black piece fell off when we took it off and we cannot find it!

promechanic

October, 5, 2011 AT 10:29 PM

I'm not sure what you are talking about. The photos show the ignition control module. You can't buy parts of it, it comes as a unit.

fixitmr

October, 6, 2011 AT 2:35 AM

Maybe he means that little piece in this pic? Whatever it's purpose is?

Spark Plug Replacement Toyota Tacoma
Spark Plug and Wire Replacement Ford Mustang
Spark Plug Replacement Ford Explorer 4.6L V8
Spark Plug Replacement Toyota Corolla 2000-20
Spark Plug Replacement Mercedes Benz ML500
Spark Plug Replacement Mercedes Benz C230