I JUST BOUGHT A 2004 CLK 320 AND THE CONVERTIBLE...

2004 Mercedes Benz CLK320

Benzrookie

October, 28, 2012 AT 4:32 PM

I just bought a 2004 clk 320 and the convertible top is not working properly. When its close it still show on dash "top in operation". I took it to a mechanic, he said it sounds like a cylinder is leaking, he would have to pull the top apart and check it could be more than one cylinder costing me about 700 a cylinder, does this sound right? Also both windows stay about an inch away from totally closing he could not tell me what it is but was going to check it out. This is the first time I use this mechanic (he seems to know what he's talking about ) and just want to make sure. Any help is appreciated.

mhpautos

October, 28, 2012 AT 7:52 PM

The system is quite involved and it may well be a faulty cylinder, they are expensive to repair but I can't compare my costings with his as I am in Australia, I would want to make sure that he is qualified in Benz and has experience in this work, I would suggest that you at least go to a dealer to get a diagnosis and quote to see if he is correct with his views, it could just be an adjustment problem as well, so just be careful with who you trust this to.

rivermikerat

October, 31, 2012 AT 11:19 PM

If you have any electrical skills, I would look into a motor manual and get a meter or test light and check the limit switches first. Quick, easy, and, best of all, cheap. They fail more often than cylinders and actuators.

Dynamat Door Installation
Trunk Shock Replacement Porsche Carrera 911