DOES HAVE A SAFETY STOP WHEN OIL SWITCH FAILS

2004 Mazda Miata

maxpryer91

December, 27, 2011 AT 12:23 AM

I changed my oil and the oil gauge read empty after running the car and shutting it off and turning it back on it sounded like it misfired for a second then shut off. Now it wont start back.
any ideas?

rivermikerat

December, 27, 2011 AT 12:29 AM

No. The safety stop is supposed to be the driver. The oil gauge doesn't read level, it reads pressure. If it read zero, the oil pump died. Does the engine turn over when the key is moved to Start position or do you just hear a clicking sound?

maxpryer91

December, 29, 2011 AT 5:43 AM

Yes, when I turn the key to the start position the engine turns over. So now what do I do? Just replace the oil pump?

maxpryer91

December, 29, 2011 AT 5:44 AM

Yes, When I turn the key to the start position the engine turns over. Does this mean all I need to do is replace the oil pump?

rivermikerat

December, 29, 2011 AT 6:29 AM

Maybe. You need to determine what the problem is before throwing parts at it. Rent or borrow an oil pressure gauge. You can usually do this at Advanced, Autozone, Pep Boys, etc. Remove the oil pressure switch and install the fitting or sending unit for the gauge. Crank the engine over to see how much pressure, if any, is built up. If none, then you need to replace the oil pump. If you get at least 15PSI, you need to replace the oil pressure switch.

Once that is taken care, you need to determine why it isn't starting. Make sure there is fuel and spark.

December, 29, 2011 AT 6:39 AM

What you need to do here is verify that this elements of combustion: compression, fuel and spark are all in order

Engine Oil Change and Filter Chevy Silverado
Engine Oil Change and Filter Mercedes
Oil Change and Oil Filter Replacement VW
Engine Oil Change and Filter Acura TSX
Engine Oil Change and Filter Chrysler PT
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Kia Rio
Oil Change/Filter Replacement Hyundai Sonata
Engine Oil Change and Filter Chevrolet Camaro