HOW HARD IS IT TO DO A HEAD GASKET JOB BESIDES TIME CONSUMING ?

• don roe
  • 2004 Land Rover Discovery 2

I have a haynes manual and a service manual to guide me

Thursday, December 15th, 2011 AT 6:19 AM

• rivermikerat

As long as you have the right tools, especially a torque wrench, new head bolts, no problem. If the gasket blew, it is recommended that you have the head checked, and decked if needed prior to reassembly.

Thursday, December 15th, 2011 AT 6:23 AM
  • rivermikerat

Make sure you label everything before you take anything apart. Both sides of electrical connectors, vacuum lines and connectors, coolant hoses, etc. This will (should) preclude connecting anything wrong.

Take pictures. Write a list of everything you've labelled and check them off as they are reconnected/reassembled.

Thursday, December 15th, 2011 AT 6:25 AM
  • don roe

Got all of those tools - would you happen to estimate the cost of getting the head decked or planed?

Thursday, December 15th, 2011 AT 6:36 AM
  • rivermikerat

That depends on how much they need to take off. Call around to local machine shops and find the best rate. When I've had to do this for my cars, I've been lucky and worked at a shop with the proper machine tools to do this and thus didn't have to pay for it.

Thursday, December 15th, 2011 AT 6:52 AM