GEAR SHIFTER HELP

2004 Hummer H2

destalicious

December, 22, 2010 AT 7:45 AM

I drive a hummer and the button on the gear shifter wont go in to let me reverse or drive or nuetral. Earlier I had to slam it very hard (the button) just to get to work. Is this a problem with the transmission or is this a problem within the gear shifter itself? Please help. Oh and what kind of mechanic should I take it to, and about how much will it cost?

FUNGUY4

December, 22, 2010 AT 7:50 AM

Did u try putting your foot on the brake because it won't shift out of park without your foot on the brake. I wouldn't reccomend slamming on the bottom that will break it.

factoryjack

January, 27, 2011 AT 3:54 AM

It is more than likely a fault with the shifter, especially since you can force it. Has there been anything spilled down into that area? The shifter is serviced as an assembly, and an indy shop would either purchase a part from a dealer(new) or a salvage yard(used). It should not require a special technician to replace the unit, so the choice is yours.

Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Automatic Transmission Service
Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage