I HAVE A XLT 4.0L 6CYL AUTO.

2004 Ford Ranger

Southpaw3612

January, 30, 2012 AT 12:39 AM

Truck makes a howling noise (sounds like its coming from the engine compartment) when I floor the accelerator. If it accelerate slowly it is nonexistent.

Jacobandnickolas

January, 30, 2012 AT 12:41 AM

Are you sure the noise isn't coming from the clutch fan?

Southpaw3612

January, 30, 2012 AT 12:50 AM

Im not quite sure. Im nothing of a mechanic. So im unsure of where that is located. Reading forums, ive read that it could be the serpentine belt or belt tensioner possibly.

Jacobandnickolas

January, 30, 2012 AT 12:55 AM

They are all close to the fan clutch. The clutch will sound like a jet noise or very loud fan.

Southpaw3612

January, 30, 2012 AT 12:58 AM

Nah, it sounds more like a squealing, maybe I described it wrong

Jacobandnickolas

January, 30, 2012 AT 1:11 AM

Try this. Start the engine and open the hood. Take a small cup of water and pour it on the belt while the engine is running. Does the sound change?

Let me know. Also, wear old clothes and protect your eyes because the water will most likely spray out at you.

Southpaw3612

January, 30, 2012 AT 3:11 AM

It doesnt do it at an idle or regular driving. Shall I still try this?

January, 30, 2012 AT 5:34 AM

IF YOU IDLE 'ER ON UP, DOES IT DO IT?

HAVE YOUR PAL POUR THE WATER

NO SENSE IN GETTING WET, NOW THAT YOU KNOW YOU WILL!

IF YOU TAKE A PIECE OF GARDEN HOSE, OR HEATER HOSE ABOUT 4 FEET LONG, STICK ONE END IN YOUR EAR, USE THE OTHER END LIKE A STETHOSCOPE. YOU MAY BE ABLE TO ISOLATE THE AREA, WHILE YOU PAL GIVES IT ENOUGH PEDAL TO MAKE IT SQUEAL

COULD BE BEARINGS IN AN ACCESSORY DRIVEN BY THE ENGINE, IF IT GETS DOWN TO IT, REMOVE THE DRIVE BELT AND SEE IF IT STOPS.

PLEASE DO WATCH OUT FOR THOSE PESKY MOVING PARTS UNDER THERE, THEY WILL PUT A HURTIN' ON YOU!

OK---RETURN WITH SOME REAL POSITIVE RESULTS

Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Mustang
Oil Change and Filter Chevrolet Tahoe 2015
Coolant Drain and Refill Acura MDX
 Oil Change & Filter Ford Explorer 2000-2005