FAULTY IGNITION SWITCH CAUSE CAR TO LOSE POWER?

2004 Ford Focus

girl4god

April, 15, 2011 AT 5:18 PM

I'm having a problem with my car losing power. I have recently asked other questions on here about this problem, which I imagine is probably due to the battery or alternator, but I was actually wondering about the ignition. I have a 2004 Focus ZX3 5 speed. I'm not sure when the problem actually started but I know it's been happening for at least the past 3 yrs. The ignition wont turn when I put the key in. Someone told me that Fords are notorious for that problem and all you have to do it tap the end of the key so it sort of gets pushed further into the ignition, then try to turn it. Well, it takes more than tapping for my car. I've bruised the bottom part of the palm many times from tapping hard enough to get the key to turn. It's a pain, but I'm a single mom barely making it so I cant spend money on this car unless I absolutely have to. And the ignition is one of those things I've just dealt with. But could it have anything to do with the cars power (other than start it) Is there any way it might be draining any power from the battery or anything else power-related? Just trying to brain-storm to figure out if there could be any little things that could be overlooked that may be causing these engine problems. Thanks so much! : -)

saturntech9

April, 15, 2011 AT 5:31 PM

So does your key look worn down if so I would have a fresh key cut from your vin number not your old worn out key copied. See if that corrects the problem if it doesn't look worn down then your going to have replace the cylinder. As far as the battery draining I would start with the basics having your battery and alternator tested make sure the battery cables are clean and tight. Then go from there on that problem.

Catalytic Converter Replacement Volkswagen
Find Out How to Test Your Catalytic Converter
Fuel Filter Replacment BMW 525i
Fuel Filter Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Fuel Filters Replacement 2015 RAM 2500 6.7L