UNDERBODY

2004 Dodge Stratus

slingerlandstyx

March, 1, 2011 AT 7:08 AM

A 2' U-shaped aluminum plate came off the underbody of my car ('04 Stratus SXT, 2.4L DOHC) while driving, I'm trying to figure out what it is/if its important that I get it fixed. I recovered it, found some numbers stamped in it, 06204 and 4878869AA. Googling these didn't return much, only a Russian car parts site but I think it might be a heat shield of some sort. Any ideas?

ALSO - since this happened, my mileage seemed to drop by about 50 miles per tank.

fixitmr

March, 1, 2011 AT 9:59 AM

Is it light weight/thin like tin? Must be a heat sheild. Dont know how it could effect mileage unless something else got damaged like OX sensor from it coming loose.

caradiodoc

March, 1, 2011 AT 10:11 AM

Sounds like an exhaust heat shield for the catalytic converter or exhaust pipe. That won't affect fuel mileage. They are used to reduce the heat radiated to the floor of the car and to keep dried leaves from hitting the converter and catching fire. If there is enough to attach to, a pair of large hose clamps can be used to hold that shield in place. When the first few welds break or rust off those shields can rattle. Hose clamps can solve that too.

slingerlandstyx

March, 2, 2011 AT 12:09 PM

Thanks for the input!

Clutch/Flywheel/Rear Main Seal Replacement
Pulling an Auto Trans? Easy Instructions