I HAVE A HOWLING LIKE SOUND

2004 Dodge Sprinter

nitwit

October, 13, 2011 AT 10:31 PM

Sometimes when Im at an idle it will howl then when I shut the engine off it will continue to howl like an owl is under the hood. Some guy told me it could be the turbo blowout vale being stuck open. Is that expensive to replace?

October, 13, 2011 AT 11:08 PM

Could be but I doubt it. You would be complaining about no power from the turbo. If it was stuck open, it would dump turbo boost.

Do you have an electric fan in the front either for cooling or the ac condenser?

raredx

May, 3, 2013 AT 10:29 AM

It also could be the engine aux heater. On your dashboard to the left of the steering column there should be a small red light that you can turn on and off with the push button located below it. This is for the heat boost. You use it to help warm up the engine on a cold morning and you are heading down the road. I did not know about this item and noticed the noise as well. Once you turn it off then that howl should not appear until you have it one again. I also noticed that my fuel consumption got better once it was off.
Terry

Coolant Drain and Refill Scion XD
Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Edge
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front