I HAVE A HOWLING LIKE SOUND

• nitwit
  • 2004 Dodge Sprinter

Sometimes when Im at an idle it will howl then when I shut the engine off it will continue to howl like an owl is under the hood. Some guy told me it could be the turbo blowout vale being stuck open. Is that expensive to replace?

Thursday, October 13th, 2011 AT 10:31 PM

• ASEMaster6371

Could be but I doubt it. You would be complaining about no power from the turbo. If it was stuck open, it would dump turbo boost.

Do you have an electric fan in the front either for cooling or the ac condenser?

Thursday, October 13th, 2011 AT 11:08 PM
  • raredx

It also could be the engine aux heater. On your dashboard to the left of the steering column there should be a small red light that you can turn on and off with the push button located below it. This is for the heat boost. You use it to help warm up the engine on a cold morning and you are heading down the road. I did not know about this item and noticed the noise as well. Once you turn it off then that howl should not appear until you have it one again. I also noticed that my fuel consumption got better once it was off.
Terry

Friday, May 3rd, 2013 AT 10:29 AM