HOW DO I RESET THE ECM TIMING

2004 Dodge Ram

mikederouin88

July, 11, 2012 AT 1:59 AM

Can someone tell me how to reset ecm for timing. I replaced a cylinder head and I was told the computer has to be reset for vehicle to properly adjust

July, 11, 2012 AT 2:08 AM

No, that is not correct.

What engine? What was the repair and why?

mikederouin88

July, 11, 2012 AT 3:06 AM

It is a 3.7 V6. The rocker tower for the #2 cylinder busted and cracked the head. I bought a new head and replaced it. Before removal of the passanger side cam sprocket I placed the crank on TDC and verified #1 is up. During reinstall I double checked my TDC mark and installed passenger side cam sprocket and chain with the V 6 mark at 12: 00. Truck cranks starts and runs but no power. I called dodge and the said you have to do an ecm relearn after any timing repairs

July, 11, 2012 AT 3:10 AM

Never heard of that. I have been doing this for many, many years and never heard of that. Start with a compression test. It sounds like the chain is off on the timing

mikederouin88

July, 11, 2012 AT 2:02 PM

That's what I though too but there isn't even any timing marks for the cam sprockets. You just have too put the v6 on the sprocket at 12: 00 O'clock. This is a jeep motor. Is there anyway you could see if this 3.7 needs a reset done on the ECM. I would greatly appreciate it