Outer tie rod ends wear out in months and I have to pump brakes to get them to work

FERGFERG
  • 2004 CHRYSLER SEBRING
To start.I have a 2004 Chrysler Sebring 2.4L DOHC with 121,000 miles on it, and 2 major issues that multiple mechanics cannot or have not figured out.

#1. I go through outer tie rods like oil changes. They are not lasting a year. More like 6 months. The current ones show major wear after only 2 months. Any ideas as to why I have to change a 5-10 year part every 6 months?

#2 When traveling at high speeds (55-70mph) in the rain or snow I cannot stop or slow the car by pressing on the brake. I get normal back pressure on the pedal but the car does not slow. I can only get the car to start to brake after I pump the brake a few times. Again this NEVER happens on dry days. Problem started about a year or so ago. This car has me stumped. And broke.

Pertinent info on car:

New brake pads and rotors. Nothing fancy Duralast I think
15,000 miles ago.

New Firestone affinity 70,000 mile touring tires.

And of course new outer tie rods
Friday, December 2nd, 2011 AT 11:16 PM

Was the vehicle ever in an accident?
Friday, December 2nd, 2011 AT 11:31 PM