CHANGED TIMING BELT NOW WHEN I STOP YHE CAR IT DIES

2004 Chrysler Sebring

workinman

July, 9, 2012 AT 6:59 AM

Timing belt broke it had two big marks and two small marks on cogs. I put the two big marks together and car wouldn't start so I put two small marks together and it would not start so I put a small mark and a big mark together and it started and sounds great but when I stop it turns off what is wrong its a 2.4L 16 valve duel over head cam

caradiodoc

July, 9, 2012 AT 9:57 AM

Most likely you disconnected the battery while doing the timing belt. If so, the Engine Computer lost its memory and has to relearn "minimum throttle" before it will know when it must be in control of idle speed. It also might not give you the normal "idle flare-up" to 1500 rpm when you start the engine. To meet the conditions for the relearn to take place, drive at highway speed with the engine warmed up, then coast for at least seven seconds without touching the brake or gas pedals.

workinman

July, 14, 2012 AT 2:15 AM

This does not seem to be working could it have a bent valve or still out of time again it had four marks on it 2 big and 2 small and the only way it would start is too have a. Big mark and a small mark

caradiodoc

July, 16, 2012 AT 2:49 AM

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. I just skidded in from the nation's second largest old car show swap meet. Left here Wednesday evening. This shouldn't happen again until this time next year.

You do have an interference engine so if the timing belt broke you likely have bent valves. A compression test will show it, and a cylinder leakage test will prove which valves are leaking.

workinman

July, 16, 2012 AT 2:46 PM

Thank you so much for your help

Step by Step Timing Belt Replacement Guide
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chrysler
Serpentine Belt Replacement
Serpentine Belt Replacement Saturn Vue
Serpentine Belt Replacement Ford Contour
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet
Serpentine Belt Replacement Acura MDX