A lot of accessories are not working like; the headlights, radio, A/C, sunroof, windows and the windshield wipers

HJORDAN
  • 2004 CHRYSLER PACIFICA
  • AWD
Fog light are flickering fuse box is ticking like crazy. Headlights, radio, A/C, sunroof, windows and front wipers do not work (but back wiper works). Also ABS traction control. Brake, and airbag lights are on the dash. Truck only opens when the key is off. Headlights also work when the key is off. I have a multimeter, but I do not know what to check first. I do believe the problem is in the fuse box itself or voltage. Please help. Thanks
P.S. It seems it would clear up for second, then all these functions start working for about thirty seconds or so then the fuse box starts clicking and all of those functions stop working.
Saturday, October 11th, 2014 AT 7:18 PM

There are two common suspects. First, follow the smaller positive battery wire to the under-hood fuse box and be sure that connection is clean and tight. Follow the smaller negative battery wire to the body and be sure that one is tight and not rusty.

Second, you can start the alternator testing by measuring the battery voltage. With the engine off it should be 12.6 volts. With the engine running it must be between 13.75 and 14.75 volts. This one can intermittently drop to 12.6 volts. That's an indication of worn brushes inside the alternator. That is a fairly common problem with an inexpensive fix.

If that voltage stays within the acceptable range with the engine running, the more important part of the test requires a professional load tester. Of interest is the maximum output current. A typical value is 90 amps. If you find the most you can get is exactly one third of the alternator's rated output current, it has one bad diode of the six. That will cause voltage fluctuations and it can confuse the computers.
-1
Saturday, October 11th, 2014 AT 9:16 PM
HJORDAN
Alternator checked out fine, and I had it checked at Autozone. I have traced the hot wire that is coming from the battery going to the fuse box. It was tight on there and it took a little elbow strength to get off. Was no corrosion but I wire brushed it anyway. Will get on tracing that negative wire you speak of ASAP and will get back to you with an update. Thank you for the information so much!
Saturday, October 11th, 2014 AT 9:44 PM
HJORDAN
Okay, well I traced the negative wire and I believe the run to a stud right under the battery tray. I cleaned them and put them back. Problem still exist though the ticking in the fuse box is now humming. Any other ideas would be appreciated, and I am still looking for bad ground somewhere. Thanks!
-1
Sunday, October 12th, 2014 AT 7:45 AM
HJORDAN
Okay, I just found a broken off wire it is gray with a black strip, do not know where it broke off from but it is in the cluster of wires that is right under the battery tray. Do you know where this wire would go? Is it a wire that needs to be grounded. When I touch this wire on a ground, instead of the fuse box ticking it starts humming, any ideas? Thanks!
Sunday, October 12th, 2014 AT 8:21 AM
HJORDAN
Thank you caradiodoc for your help. I found the problem and it was the ground wire (s) that are under the battery tray. They were corroded and were not making contact with the wire connector. Fixed it everything works again! Thank you so much again!
+1
Sunday, October 12th, 2014 AT 12:05 PM
Dandy. Sorry to take so long to reply. I had a major house fire so I have to drive into town and sit in the library parking lot at night to use their wireless internet. Happy to hear you solved it.
Sunday, October 12th, 2014 AT 10:52 PM
  • 2005 CHRYSLER PACIFICA
The rear wiper is not working. I cannot find a fuse or relay for it. Can you help?
Friday, December 30th, 2016 AT 2:11 PM (Merged)
See below.
+1