ROARING WHILE DRIVING

2004 Chevrolet Cavalier

lilwitch00

July, 27, 2012 AT 3:29 AM

I have a 2004 Cavalier that has started making what I can best describe as a low, roaring noise while driving. It does get louder with acceleration and at speeds about 30mph. The sound stops when the car is idling. There are no other sounds (clicking, grinding, scraping, etc.) Turning the wheel makes no difference in the noise. The power steering hose was flushed a few months ago as there was a groaning when you turned the wheel. This seemed to fix the problem until now. There is also an issue with the vents. The air flow is only directed out of the front vents. None on the floor, or defrost. I do know the serpentine belt needs replaced. Could this all be due to that? I am trying to avoid an expensive repair as I will soon be purchasing a new car, but I'm concerned about driving the car as is for any long distances. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

saturntech9

July, 27, 2012 AT 4:42 AM

Lets start with the roaring noise have you actually checked the wheel bearings?Does the noise come from the front or back of the car?Do you have a jack and jack stands?

lilwitch00

July, 27, 2012 AT 4:50 AM

It's coming from the front and doesn't seem to be specific to either side (driver or passenger.) It's quite noticeable from inside the car when you're driving. I've considered it might be wheel bearing(s), or possibly power steering pump, but am not knowledgeable enough to know what to look for. I don't have a jack, unfortunately. The car is going in to have the serpentine belt replaced this weekend and was hoping for some guidance before I go. Thanks for the quick response!

saturntech9

July, 27, 2012 AT 5:16 AM

I have a trick I use to find bad wheel bearings and which one. But you need a jack and jack stands to use the trick it works awesome.

terryhunt

October, 3, 2012 AT 1:00 PM

So what is the trick you use because im having the same problem and I do have jackstands

saturntech9

October, 3, 2012 AT 4:08 PM

Put the car on jack stands so the wheels are off the ground. If its the front have the ebrake set if its the rear have the car in park ethier way use wheel chocks. If its the front wheels pkace the transmission in neutral then place one hand on the strut coil spring and use the othet hand to spin the wheel as fast as you can. If you have a bad wheel bearing you should be able to feel/hear it.

Steering Pump Replacement Mercedes Benz
Power Steering Box Replacement Chevy Tahoe
Power Steering Pump Replacement Chevy Tahoe
Power Steering Pump Pulley Removal