Ignition key tumbler replacement instructions the key is stuck?

ANONYMOUS
  • 2004 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
Key will come in and out it just wont turn forward to start the car?
Monday, October 22nd, 2012 AT 10:05 PM

It sounds like you need to replace the ignition switch/tumbler here are the instructions in the guides below. Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.
Monday, October 22nd, 2012 AT 10:16 PM
TIFFANY FREDERICKSON
  • 2003 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
I lost my keys to my car. I had another car same model but it is a 2002. Will the ignition switch an key work for my 2003?
Monday, March 22nd, 2021 AT 5:51 PM (Merged)
DANNY L
Hello again,

So just to confirm. You have an ignition switch with a key from a 2002 that you want to replace in your 2003 that you've lost the key for? I've attached below replacement instruction steps and you will also have to do a security/anti-theft relearn procedure. This will require a GM tech 2 scan tool for optimal results. Hope this helps and thanks again for using 2CarPros.

Danny-
LALAPHILLIPS
  • 2003 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
I locked wheel exiting vehicle wheels turned. Took cover off pushed button freed wheel, key still will not turn.
KEN
It sounds like the ignition key lock needs to be replaced. You will need to have the key programmed before installing it which the dealer can do. Here are diagrams to help you get he job done. (Below)

Check out the diagrams (below). Please let us know what happens.

Cheers, Ken
+1
LALAPHILLIPS
So I have to get key programmed even though there just regular keys?
KEN
There is an RF chip in the plastic part of the key so even though you cant see it its in there. So yes you must have it programmed to the car so the security system will disable.
LALAPHILLIPS
But my key is all metal I have never had a key with plastic. Did car originally come with one? Today I drilled out cylinder lock and awaiting new one from AutoZone will this even work? The car now has unlocked steering wheel and I was able to move gear shift. But when I tried to start with screwdriver it started and instantly shut off is that due to security system? Will new lock work?
KEN
Hmm. The old key was just metal? Is the RF chip taped or glued near the ignition switch? Something was making the security system turn off which usually is the chip. Can you upload images of the key and ignition switch?
MELISSA WROBLEWSKI
  • 2003 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
Okay, so long story short I lost my key and took my ignition out and messed up the part that fits directly into the ignition switch. Now I have the parts to replace everything. I have it all tore apart. Now I am having trouble fitting the part that fits directly into the ignition switch. I bought a Haynes manual, but it barely covers my problem. Is there a certain way to get it to fit together?
MELISSA WROBLEWSKI
This the part I cannot get to fit into the ignition switch.
If you followed these steps for removal you should not have any problems. See pictures. Also, once new tumbler is installed a mechanic has to program it so car will start.
-1
MELISSA WROBLEWSKI
Not the ignition cylinder that was a breeze, but using a screw driver ate the tumbler up. I figured getting a new one would be better than leaving the old chewed up one in. I took the old one off. There is a black clip inside of the whole assembly preventing me from sticking the tumbler straight in. I was just wondering if there was per say and quarter turn or backwards or forwards method to connect the tumbler and the ignition switch?
Everything I sent was how to put it back together maybe something is not lined up correctly preventing you from an install. Try the removal and install once more like I sent.
JAIME MARCANO
  • 2002 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
Hi, my ignition switch needs to be replace, I took the cover off but it looks complicated, please help.
Monday, March 22nd, 2021 AT 5:52 PM (Merged)
BMRFIXIT

You must remove the steering wheel. Here are diagrams and instructions below.

Disconnect negative battery cable.
Disable air bag system.
Remove steering column trim covers.
Remove tilt lever.
Remove 4 screws from lower trim cover.
Remove upper trim cover.
Turn ignition lock cylinder to RUN position.
Push locking button (2) on rear of housing assembly (1).
Remove ignition lock cylinder by pulling outward from steering column.
Disconnect harness connector from ignition lock cylinder.
The ignition switch diagrams at at the end.

Check out the diagrams (Below) Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.
TGRANT0124
  • 2002 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
How do you replace the ignition switch in an 02 cavalier?
2CEXPT
Ignition Switch Replacement - On Vehicle

Removal Procedure

Caution: Refer to Battery Disconnect Caution in Service Precautions.

Disconnect the negative battery cable.
Remove the steering column trim covers.
Remove the ignition lock cylinder.

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_i_3.gif

Remove the retaining screws (2) from the ignition switch (3).
Remove the ignition switch (3) from the steering column (1).

Installation Procedure

Install the ignition switch (3) to the steering column (1). Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precaution.
Install the retaining screws (2) to the ignition switch (3). Tighten the screws to 4 Nm (36 inch lbs.).
Install the ignition lock cylinder.
Install the steering column trim covers.
Connect the negative battery cable.
S.PERRY
  • 2002 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
Both the original and the spare I made recently work in the door. When put either one in the ignition and the door is open, the car dings at me so I know it is picking up that the key is there. The steering wheel is also locked. I think maybe twice in the past 9 months the key seemed to get stuck, but I gave it a little jiggle and it was fine. The ignition switch feels a little loose, but this isn't a recent development. It isn't so loose that it moves on it's own, just shifts a bit when you apply pressure.

Here's what I've done so far:

1. I've turned the steering wheel as far in one direction while trying the ignition. I've tried it both left and right.
2. I've searched for some kind of release under the steering column and couldn't find one.
3. I've used compressed air and a lubricant to try to clean the tumbler.

I'm waiting to start a new job, so if there's any way to fix this, even if it's temporary or involves removing the ignition switch and using a screwdriver, I need to hear it.

Thanks!
KEN
Yep, you need a new ignition tumble and key which I would get from the dealer, please bring your VIN and proof of ownership and they will code the key for you. Here are the instruction and diagrams to help you with the repair. Check out the diagrams (below). Please let us know what happens.

Sponsored links