CLUTCH DOES NOT ENGAGE

• Yap
  • 2004 BMW 318I

BMW318i, manufactured in 2004, engine no.4598m330, clutch does not immediately engaged when in Drive position. It took more than 20 seconds to respond.

This happen after changing the gear box oil (Ravenol Dexron 111H auto gear oil, output oil seal, auto filter, auto gasket, oil sump gasket and Johnson power steering fluid.

Monday, April 2nd, 2012 AT 4:32 PM

• Rivermikerat

And what did you put the power steering fluid into, the transmission?

Monday, April 2nd, 2012 AT 7:37 PM
  • Yap

This happen when the engine is completely cool down. However once the clutch has engaged and the car can moves on smoothly. However, I notice that the petrol consumption has became on the high side for my normal driving.

Monday, April 2nd, 2012 AT 11:49 PM
  • Rivermikerat

When was the last time the clutch was changed? It could be worn, or it could need adjustment. What happens if you get going in first and shift into third and try to go?

Tuesday, April 3rd, 2012 AT 12:14 AM
  • Yap

I tried to start the car from cold this morning. I engaged D gear without pressing accelerator, the car just jerking and not moving forward for ten minutes. After that I press on the accelerator, it start to move slowly with slight jerking feel. Then move it for 30 seconds and shift to parking gear. After few seconds, I shift back to D gear, only then it moves by itself slowly as usual. I have not changed the clutch. Due to gear oil leakage, I replace the oil seal and auto gear oil.

Tuesday, April 3rd, 2012 AT 12:51 AM
  • Rivermikerat

Is it an automatic or manual transmission?

Tuesday, April 3rd, 2012 AT 1:06 AM
  • Yap

It is an automatic transmission. Due to transmission oil leakage too, I changed auto filter, auto gasket, oil sump gasket and fill in johnsen power steering fluid.

Tuesday, April 3rd, 2012 AT 2:34 AM
  • Rivermikerat

Check the transmission fluid pressure. Make sure the level is correct. Running it low may have damaged it. Have it scanned for both soft and hard codes.

Tuesday, April 3rd, 2012 AT 3:49 AM