CLUTCH DOES NOT ENGAGE

2004 BMW 318i

yap

April, 2, 2012 AT 4:32 PM

BMW318i, manufactured in 2004, engine no.4598m330, clutch does not immediately engaged when in Drive position. It took more than 20 seconds to respond.

This happen after changing the gear box oil (Ravenol Dexron 111H auto gear oil, output oil seal, auto filter, auto gasket, oil sump gasket and Johnson power steering fluid.

rivermikerat

April, 2, 2012 AT 7:37 PM

And what did you put the power steering fluid into, the transmission?

yap

April, 2, 2012 AT 11:49 PM

This happen when the engine is completely cool down. However once the clutch has engaged and the car can moves on smoothly. However, I notice that the petrol consumption has became on the high side for my normal driving.

rivermikerat

April, 3, 2012 AT 12:14 AM

When was the last time the clutch was changed? It could be worn, or it could need adjustment. What happens if you get going in first and shift into third and try to go?

yap

April, 3, 2012 AT 12:51 AM

I tried to start the car from cold this morning. I engaged D gear without pressing accelerator, the car just jerking and not moving forward for ten minutes. After that I press on the accelerator, it start to move slowly with slight jerking feel. Then move it for 30 seconds and shift to parking gear. After few seconds, I shift back to D gear, only then it moves by itself slowly as usual. I have not changed the clutch. Due to gear oil leakage, I replace the oil seal and auto gear oil.

rivermikerat

April, 3, 2012 AT 1:06 AM

Is it an automatic or manual transmission?

yap

April, 3, 2012 AT 2:34 AM

It is an automatic transmission. Due to transmission oil leakage too, I changed auto filter, auto gasket, oil sump gasket and fill in johnsen power steering fluid.

rivermikerat

April, 3, 2012 AT 3:49 AM

Check the transmission fluid pressure. Make sure the level is correct. Running it low may have damaged it. Have it scanned for both soft and hard codes.

Clutch/Flywheel/Rear Main Seal Replacement
Pulling an Auto Trans? Easy Instructions