WHY IS MY HEAT BLOWING REALLY HOT AFTER THERMOSTAT REPLACEMENT.

2003 Volkswagen Passat

pinheadfromhell

October, 11, 2011 AT 5:13 PM

I just replaced my thermostat in my 03 vw passat 1.8t fwd wagon because it was giving a p2181 cooling system performance code error. Since replacing the thermostat everything has been working ok except the gas mileage is worse and the hot air from the heater blows REALLY hot. I am worried that even though my temp gauge shows 190 that the engine is overheating. How do I know that the temp gauge isn't broken? It starts at 0 and warms up to 190 and stays there like it is supposed to. Also, is there a coolant temperature sensor and a temperature sending unit and where are they located?

October, 11, 2011 AT 5:48 PM

Have you check that you are actually overheating? The CTS is at the rear of the cylinder head

pinheadfromhell

October, 11, 2011 AT 7:23 PM

I guess my question is how do I check that I am not overheating? What indicators can I use that don't include the instrument panel temperature gauge?

October, 11, 2011 AT 9:15 PM

Test the coolant temperature sensor -hot and cold this will tell you something

Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser
Thermostat Replacement Chevrolet Blazer
Thermostat Replacement Mercedes Benz C230