THE REASON FOR MY CHECK ENGINE LIGHT?

• gdaniels2323
  • 2003 Volkswagen GLI

How do I check the relay in my 2003 jetta gli. I think this is the reason for my check engine light. The electronics are spazzing out but my car is in. The light on the ceiling that turns on when the door opens and closes is not turning off automatically ad my car doesn't honk when I lock it and my check engine is on

Thursday, February 2nd, 2012 AT 2:40 AM

• ASEMaster6371

Check engine light is a fuel control issue. The other issues have nothing to do with the light. Get someone to pull the code number and we will further assist you.

Thursday, February 2nd, 2012 AT 2:46 AM
  • gdaniels2323

Well I don't think it's a fuel control issue because the check engine light has come on a while ago then it went off. And right now it is on again. I'm hoping it'll cut off ASAP. What is a fuel control issue is this somethin serious for the car or a fix I can do myself?

Thursday, February 2nd, 2012 AT 2:58 AM
  • ASEMaster6371

Once again, you need to have the code pulled for us to further help you. Yes, it is a fuel control issue with this light. Prolonged driving with it on could cause more damage but without the code, we cannot tell.

Thursday, February 2nd, 2012 AT 3:06 AM
  • gdaniels2323

Alright I suppose I'll get it read ASAP to see what further things are going on, hopefully nothing serious

Thursday, February 2nd, 2012 AT 3:20 AM
  • mhpautos

Check that all the door switches are working correctly, and you may not be aware but once the check light has been on any codes set will remain in the memory untill cleared and not all codes will set a CEL.

Thursday, February 2nd, 2012 AT 7:48 AM
  • gdaniels2323

Hello again. I got my car scanned an it pulled up a P0301 a cylinder 1 misfire and also a P0420 catalyst efficiency below threshold bank 1. What does this mean is it serious?

Thursday, February 2nd, 2012 AT 5:02 PM
  • ASEMaster6371

Number 1 is missfiring from maybe a plug, wire, coil, injector, low compression or vacuum leak.
The 420 is a converter code that says the effiency is no good anymore. It will have to be replaced.

I would get both attended too asap.

Thursday, February 2nd, 2012 AT 5:47 PM
  • mhpautos

Don't fit a cat just yet, as that code may be a resault of the misfire allowing a to rich mixture into the exhaust and upsetting the cat readings, do the tune problem and drive for a while then re scan to see if the cat has cleared up.

Thursday, February 2nd, 2012 AT 9:49 PM
  • gdaniels2323

Got the problem scanned doesn't seem to be misfiring in the first cylinder and the light has not come on since I got it removed I'm just going onwait ad see if this light arises again.

Friday, February 3rd, 2012 AT 1:09 AM
  • ASEMaster6371

It will come back. The issue is you may be damaging the cat converter more by driving it this way.

Friday, February 3rd, 2012 AT 1:16 AM