THE REASON FOR MY CHECK ENGINE LIGHT?

2003 Volkswagen GLI

gdaniels2323

February, 2, 2012 AT 2:40 AM

How do I check the relay in my 2003 jetta gli. I think this is the reason for my check engine light. The electronics are spazzing out but my car is in. The light on the ceiling that turns on when the door opens and closes is not turning off automatically ad my car doesn't honk when I lock it and my check engine is on

February, 2, 2012 AT 2:46 AM

Check engine light is a fuel control issue. The other issues have nothing to do with the light. Get someone to pull the code number and we will further assist you.

gdaniels2323

February, 2, 2012 AT 2:58 AM

Well I don't think it's a fuel control issue because the check engine light has come on a while ago then it went off. And right now it is on again. I'm hoping it'll cut off ASAP. What is a fuel control issue is this somethin serious for the car or a fix I can do myself?

February, 2, 2012 AT 3:06 AM

Once again, you need to have the code pulled for us to further help you. Yes, it is a fuel control issue with this light. Prolonged driving with it on could cause more damage but without the code, we cannot tell.

gdaniels2323

February, 2, 2012 AT 3:20 AM

Alright I suppose I'll get it read ASAP to see what further things are going on, hopefully nothing serious

mhpautos

February, 2, 2012 AT 7:48 AM

Check that all the door switches are working correctly, and you may not be aware but once the check light has been on any codes set will remain in the memory untill cleared and not all codes will set a CEL.

gdaniels2323

February, 2, 2012 AT 5:02 PM

Hello again. I got my car scanned an it pulled up a P0301 a cylinder 1 misfire and also a P0420 catalyst efficiency below threshold bank 1. What does this mean is it serious?

February, 2, 2012 AT 5:47 PM

Number 1 is missfiring from maybe a plug, wire, coil, injector, low compression or vacuum leak.
The 420 is a converter code that says the effiency is no good anymore. It will have to be replaced.

I would get both attended too asap.

mhpautos

February, 2, 2012 AT 9:49 PM

Don't fit a cat just yet, as that code may be a resault of the misfire allowing a to rich mixture into the exhaust and upsetting the cat readings, do the tune problem and drive for a while then re scan to see if the cat has cleared up.

gdaniels2323

February, 3, 2012 AT 1:09 AM

Got the problem scanned doesn't seem to be misfiring in the first cylinder and the light has not come on since I got it removed I'm just going onwait ad see if this light arises again.

February, 3, 2012 AT 1:16 AM

It will come back. The issue is you may be damaging the cat converter more by driving it this way.