ENGINE PROBLEM - 1.6 PETROL

2003 Vauxhall Astra

car1uk

December, 4, 2011 AT 2:07 PM

Hi,
I have an engine problem with my Astra 1.6 Petrol Car.
Firstly, the engine was burning the oil very quickly, I put in 3 litres to the full mark on the dipstick, and then a couple of days later, including some motorway driving, the dipstick was completely dry. There was a misfire last week (came up on the engine management after I got it looked at by the garage) and last week I have noticed that when the engine is started there white / blue-ish smoke coming from the exhaust (mostly white though). Also, I noticed today that the temperature gauge seems to rise slowly when the engine is on idle and not pressing the gas. A couple of garages have said sounds like an engine problem, cylinder, piston or a new engine. Does this sound like the case, is it serious?
Mr. P

98 Leaking/burning Oil

Uses Oil

rivermikerat

December, 4, 2011 AT 8:14 PM

White-bluish smoke means burned rings or valve guide seals. When you see it at startup, it normally means valve guide seals.

The temperature issue is most likely due to increased internal friction in the engine.

Crankcase Ventilation System
Engine Oil Change and Filter Kia Forte
Ignition System Test Guide