2.2 SPUTTERING

2003 Vauxhall Astra

azz

June, 22, 2011 AT 11:21 AM

Hi, just been buying an astra sri 2.2 now got a problem with every gear between 1000 to 2000 revs it seems to splutter like its strugling but once im higher than 2000 rpm it goes away? Thanks

Sixpack Subaru

June, 22, 2011 AT 1:47 PM

This particular engine run what is actually called a 'Coil-Cartridge', (Modular Coil-Pack Assembly), according to Holden, (who actually export the engines for European Opel vehicles), it is the most common cause of the symptom/s you describe. If it was a fuel issue. It would worsen as engine speed and load increased. Does it completely disappear after 2000rpm? Try driving at 80-90kph, accelerate 'lightly'. If it has a similar symptom to the one you've described it will most likely be the coil cartridge.

azz

June, 23, 2011 AT 10:56 AM

Thanks for the reply but it is just between 1000 2000 rpm shud I be worried about it or try get it sortted out? If so how do I go about it? Thanks again

cogs

July, 12, 2011 AT 5:37 AM

I have exactly the same problem with my astra SRI 2.2. Between 1,000 - 2,000 rpm particularly when cold, has a misfire.

I have cleaned the fuel system and injectors, fitted new genuine spark plugs, replaced the O2 sensor which has helped, but the problem still remains.

Why would the coil pack give trouble only between 1,000 - 2,000 rpm? I am a little reluctant to replace it as everyone heads straight for the coil pack and there seems to be a flood of them on ebay because I don't think people really know, even dealers use trial and error with new components.

AZZ, please letme know if you have found the solution yet.

cogs

July, 12, 2011 AT 6:38 AM

I have just blanked off the EGR valve which is likely to cause this, will let you know if it fixes it.

cogs

July, 13, 2011 AT 9:49 AM

Blanking off the EGR made a lot of difference but under the right conditions I can make it misfire again. The problem is 80% gone, but what has happened is the new O2 sensor and egr blanking has just richened up the mixture so the underlying problem isn't know where near as bad. The car drives much smoother now, but I think there may still be a electical short oon one cylinder. Maybe a coil pack is next, but first I'll check the spark plug connectors.

azz

July, 14, 2011 AT 1:32 PM

Thanks for that I was actually on doing the egr as well and also found it made things alot smoother, after doing this work I was tempting to re map it see if it helps at all. Whats your thoughts?

cogs

July, 14, 2011 AT 11:22 PM

Do you mean remap the ECU? I wish I could. It seems the problem is creeping back in but not as agressive as before. For the first time the engine light came on last night and would not go off until, strangely when I filled the car up with fuel and it went off. I have read also about Spirl Pot's giving trouble in this model, but why it should give trouble now at 100K, I do not know.

The search continues and maybe a coil pack may be a $168 trial and error, still cheaper than dealership diagnosis.

mhpautos

July, 17, 2011 AT 11:35 AM

I would be doing the coil, I have one doing this at work and a coil sorted the problem.

cogs

September, 18, 2011 AT 12:20 AM

As it truns out it was the coil pack, or the module that comes with it.
It has actually fixed the pinging problem that the car has had for some time previous to the misfire. It feels like it has a whole new fuel and ignition curve, runs so much better and smoother, although I still have the EGR blanked.
I bought the coil pack from the UK (ebay).