WEER REPLACING THE HEAD GASKETS ON IT ITS A ...

2003 Subaru WRX

Anonymous

October, 28, 2012 AT 9:26 PM

We'er replacing the head gaskets on it, it's a turbo with dohc. When reinstalling the cam on the first head we broke a cam cap bolt. We went through the torque pattern like we should and two stages of the torquing pattern. We could do the first torque fine (at 10 LBS.), But went it came to the second torque (14.5 LBS), one bolt wouldn't torque. I was turning real slow when POP, the bolt broke. So we had to take the head off to get the bolt out. So we took the other head and bolted the cam cap to it and tried to torque it on the bench before we put the head on and it seems like it wants to do the same thing. It's seems to be the front caps we'er have problems with. I was wondering do you think the bolts are stressed and should be replaced or is it something else. ( Oh buy the way my torque wrench is pretty new)

October, 28, 2012 AT 10:42 PM

Did you check to see if there are different length bolts for the fronts? Torque spec is correct

October, 28, 2012 AT 10:42 PM

By the way, the fronts only get torqued to 7.2 lbs.

Replacing Head Gasket
Spark Plug Replacement Mercedes Benz ML500