TROUBLE STARTING MOSTLY IN COLD WEATHER

2003 Saturn Ion

Mlhoar

November, 13, 2012 AT 10:18 PM

Trouble starting, mostly in cold weather. Have replaced engine coolant sensor. Seemed to get worse, not better.

Mlhoar

November, 13, 2012 AT 10:45 PM

Now it cranks everytime I try to start it, but won't turn over.

saturntech9

November, 13, 2012 AT 11:54 PM

Is a security light on solid or flashing when it doesn't start?

Mlhoar

November, 14, 2012 AT 12:23 AM

Neither. It won't code, even before I changed the sensor.

saturntech9

November, 14, 2012 AT 10:51 PM

Please more details does the scan tool talk to the car power up off the car?Also I would check the fuel pressure and see if its bleeding down.

Mlhoar

November, 15, 2012 AT 9:57 PM

Reset the comp by unhooking the battery for a bit. Then it started with no problems for about a day & 1/2. Once today it gave me trouble. Turn the key & it got power, but no crank & no turnover. Waited 10-15 min & tried again. Started right up. Kept staring every other time today no problem. Did have a service engine soon the one time it gave me trouble. When the code computer is plugged in it comes up no code avail & fuel pump seems to be working fine. No issues when actually running, just when starting intermittenly. Sometimes turns over & dies immediately, others a click, others nothing(still has power to everything). Always diff & random response.

saturntech9

November, 16, 2012 AT 7:57 PM

When it doesn't start is the security light on solid or flashing?

Mlhoar

November, 23, 2012 AT 5:53 AM

Solid. Bout a new key cuz mine was worn. Has started every time since my last post. Don't know if it's fixed now or not, but it has moved on to my blower motor working at random.

saturntech9

November, 23, 2012 AT 5:58 AM

If the security light comes on solid when it doesn't start then a new key wont fix that. Its most likely a bad ignition switch if you have the bcm scanned for codes and you have a code B2960 and or B3033 then you have a bad ignition switch. Do you have a multi meter to do some testing when the blower is inop?

Mlhoar

November, 24, 2012 AT 6:42 AM

No. The only time I hook up a computer is at advance auto. Will it get worse if I just wait til it gives me trouble again or should I replace the blower motor? Winter's here, can't afford to deal with it just failing. Can I get a code when blower is inoperable without a light or anything?

saturntech9

November, 24, 2012 AT 7:09 AM

I was talking about the ignition switch for the no start and those codes also for the no. Start not for the blower motor being inop. Also the diyer scan tools like the auto parts stores has cant read codes in the bcm only the engine and transmission codes.

Coolant Temperature Sender Replacement