INSUFFICIENT FLOW TO ERG VALVE. IS THIS THE MAP SENSOR?

2003 Oldsmobile Alero

ryanpd111

August, 6, 2012 AT 8:54 PM

Oldsmobile alero 03 v6, replaced ERG Valve, It makes a loud noise when I accelerate, it does't accelerate very fast and its really bad on gas.

saturntech9

August, 6, 2012 AT 9:33 PM

Its not going to make noise from a bad map sensor what are the exact code numbers you have?Also sounds like you have a leak somewhere.

ryanpd111

August, 7, 2012 AT 4:02 PM

The port the erg valve plugs into was completely clogged. Mechanic is going to clean it out, and reset the computer if the code returns, do you think I should have him run a smoke test to look for a vacuum leak? Thanks your that fast response!

saturntech9

August, 7, 2012 AT 10:00 PM

Your still keeping me in suspense with the actual code number no code description which I asked for in my last response.

ryanpd111

August, 8, 2012 AT 3:51 PM

Sorry about that, code: P0401. The computers been reset and the code has not come back. But it is still making a starnge noise when I try to accelerate hard and isn't accelerating fast. I called the mechanic back to ask if he had any ideas, he said there was a O2 senor code that had been in the memory. But that doesn't seem right.

saturntech9

August, 8, 2012 AT 3:59 PM

The P0401 would be caused by the clogged egr port. He isnt the same guy that replaced your egr valve without checking the egr port for being clogged is he?Also the o2 sensor isnt going to make a funny noise when excellerating. So is the engine totally bogging down?

ryanpd111

August, 10, 2012 AT 7:32 PM

No its not the same guy that replaced the egr valve. I just drove it around and the acceleration seems normal. It does make a grinding noise when I give it some extra gas. If I take it easy I don't hear the noise, but if I'm getting on the highway its there, right as I hit the gas peddle, but is gone before I pull my foot up. Sounds likes its coming from the front of the car. Grinding noise.

saturntech9

August, 10, 2012 AT 7:49 PM

Transmission or engine is the grinding noise coming from?

ryanpd111

August, 11, 2012 AT 6:11 PM

Took it to a friend, the noise was hard to hear, but it sounds like its coming from the engine, said he thinks it the heat shield vibrating. Does this happen more during acceleration?

saturntech9

August, 11, 2012 AT 6:54 PM

Yes it would because there would be more vibration and engine movement.

jonathananthonydubiel

December, 18, 2012 AT 6:00 PM

I have a similar problem but I get code p0440 on 99 alero