2003 Mitsubishi Galant Unpredictable bogging-down when accelerating

THURMJR
  • 2003 MITSUBISHI GALANT
I've been experiencing - not all the time- when I accelerate my car just starts to die- as though it's stalling. But- if I let up a little on the pedal it regains it's power, and I have to feather the pedal off and on to get it accelerate. Even though I get it up to speed it will still bog-down if I try to accelerate to hard. By the way, I've recently replaced plugs, wires, coil packs, timing belts, oil, and filters. What's strange is it stops doing this sometimes for weeks, even months and then for no apparent reason it begins this hesitation first while it's cold, and continues for days when I accelerate and then it goes away again. No back-fire, not popping. Any ideas? It's been a great car for eleven years and 260,000 miles otherwise.
Friday, June 20th, 2014 AT 6:51 PM

When this happens, has the check engine light come on? Have you ever checked fuel pump pressure? It sounds like it is going bad.
+1
Friday, June 20th, 2014 AT 7:37 PM
THURMJR
No - check engine light has never come on. I'll see if I can get the pump pressure checked.
Saturday, June 21st, 2014 AT 11:15 AM
As far as checking the pressure, it is easy to do. However, you need a fuel pressure gauge. Most parts stores will lend them to you. Here are the directions and a video on how to check.

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/fuel-pump-pressure-and-regulator-test-video-all-cars

Let me know what you find or if you have other questions.

Saturday, June 21st, 2014 AT 6:58 PM
THURMJR
The pressure check came back ok. It's bogging-down on acceleration (like a choking problem) all the time, now, keep in mind that I am capable of feathering the accelerator when It starts to bog-down so I can pick up speed (I pushed it up to 80mph to see if if it would). At lower speeds I don't have a problem (from 25-30, or 40-45mph), it's usually when I'm at higher freeway speed that I need to play with it, on-ramp or up-hill. I've spent more than expected with my shade-tree mechanic already guessing a remedy. A fuel pump R&R from the fuel tank is $$$$. Just sayin'. Thanks guys.
Wednesday, July 9th, 2014 AT 11:31 AM
You know, it really sounds like a fuel issue. Do you know what pressure was found? Also, has anyone checked the catalytic converter to see if it is plugging?
-1
Wednesday, July 9th, 2014 AT 8:39 PM
By the way, the reason I am questioning the items mentioned is because there is no check engine light coming on. That leads me to believe there are no sensor or electrical issues with the vehicle.
+1
Wednesday, July 9th, 2014 AT 8:40 PM