MY 2003 MERCURY MOUNTAINEER JUST QUIT IN TRAFFIC...

• jwplaster
  • 2003 Mercury Mountaineer

My 2003 Mercury Mountaineer just quit in traffic today. Nothing happens when I turn the key to start it. All the interior electronics work, radio, heater blower, seats, etc. But nothing when I turn the key. I can't hear the fuel pump come on. The starter does nothing, can't hear anything under the hood but the ignition relay in the fuse box click one time. I have had it put on a scanner, but it says "no link". The battery has a good charge.

Sunday, February 17th, 2013 AT 8:18 PM

• JDL

Pin 16 at the datalink connector, should be hot all the time. Check with voltage tester. If that pin isn't hot, scanner won't work. Have you checked for any voltage at the fuse box? Some fuse circuits are hot all the time, some go hot with the key on. You may have to track Battery B+ voltage.

Sunday, February 17th, 2013 AT 9:02 PM
  • JDL

Pin 16 gets voltage from the fuse in the picture.

Sunday, February 17th, 2013 AT 9:06 PM
  • jwplaster

It is at a garage, and has the mechanic stumped also. No testing of the fuse box has been done other than visually checking the fuses. The starter can be jumped with a screwdriver, but it won't start the vehicle. Also when you try to start it by the key, the everything in the car that has power, loses it.

Tuesday, February 19th, 2013 AT 12:49 AM
  • jwplaster

Thanks for the reply by the way. Are there any inline fuses that I should look for? I will check the fuse panel under the dash and the one under the hood again in the morning. What I meant in my previous post is that although everything inside the vehicle has power when the key is on, it goes off when you turn the key to start.

Tuesday, February 19th, 2013 AT 12:55 AM
  • JDL

Note the diagram, check the fuses for voltage.

Tuesday, February 19th, 2013 AT 4:39 PM